Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the oil screen on my wife's 2003 Monster 620ie. I've removed the external plug and the filter seems to have a 14 mm hex keyway. The manual states release the screen and withdraw to clean. Is the filter (14mm keyway) just a threaded part with normal right hand threads? I can't seem to budge it and don't want to mangle anything. The plug was extremely hard to remove, I really had to bang it pretty good with a hand impact driver. The drain plug was also very hard to remove. Everything on the engine seems very tight and besides questioning if there are any tips for removing the screen, I wonder if I should use anti seize compound or locktite on these connections. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use a 14 mm 1/2 drive socket on [I think] an 18-inch break-over bar. It is easily removed with that setup. Maybe others will disagree with me, but I don't think I would put any kind of compound on the oil screen threads seeing as they are in an oil bath.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Nice.... I'm getting ready to do my first oil change and kind of dreading it.... will putting some wd-40 on those parts help them come off a little easier?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
ginny said:
Is the filter (14mm keyway) just a threaded part with normal right hand threads? I can't seem to budge it and don't want to mangle anything.
Yup -- normal. And if it's your first time taking it out, it can be on there REALLY tight. I had to pull out the rubber mallet. Then again, I try to use my rubber mallet for everything. Like making breakfast. I'm not allowed to cook anymore . :-\

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah, my first oil change on the S2R was an eye opening experience too...the older Ducks don't have the 14mm screen plug, they are just there once you remove the outer plug. Anyway...I do not anti-seize the screen, no need to really, just don't tighten it as much as the factory does. Mine has come out easy on susequent changes.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Spidey said:
And if it's your first time taking it out, it can be on there REALLY tight.
Mine got changed by the dealer at the 600mi service... should I still expect it to be tighter than a nun's.. uh.. , well should I still expect it to be really tight?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
factorplayer said:
Nice.... I'm getting ready to do my first oil change and kind of dreading it.... will putting some wd-40 on those parts help them come off a little easier?
that won't work in this case

factorplayer said:
Mine got changed by the dealer at the 600mi service... should I still expect it to be tighter than a nun's.. uh.. , well should I still expect it to be really tight?
yeah, never know if it tightened a bit through heat cycles or some such thing *shrug* this is the kind of reason why I keep an impact gun on hand ;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer didn't remove the screen on the 600 mi. service.

I had to hit mine with a 1/2 inch air impact the first time I removed it. I'm pretty sure that screen was still in "factory tight" even though the dealer got their chance to screw me on the 600 mi. service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts