Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of removing unnecessary parts (side covers, emissions, etc.). I pulled the hugger off and think it looks good without it. On the practical side, though, it probably doesn't look good enough to make up for getting chain lube and other crap all over myself every time I ride. Anyone have good first-hand experience in running without a hugger for daily driving?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Again, my apologies. I did not search before posting. I am surprised that Scott Nelson didn't call me on that yet!

D

·
0 Posts
Sapper, My hugger snapped at the back portion, so I took it off. I love the way it looks without it, and have been riding for over 3 months now. The down side is more frequent cleaning. I've since chopped on the hugger and took about 2 inches off of it. I'll try to post photos.

C

·
0 Posts
Your supposed to clean these things? ;D

No hugger for 7k. No problems with dirt on me at all. The shock does get more road grim on it, and I do try to keep it clean, but other than that I think the look is killer!

jb

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I wish I knew how to post a pic (computer retard) so I could show you what I did, but I will try to describe it. I used my dremmel tool and cut a piece out of the middle of the hugger, where it attaches to the swing arm, about 7" wide x 8" high. I then used a propane torch to heat up the area where the hugger attaches to the swingarm and bent it back to the point where the remaing hugger sits flush with the swingarm arch. It sits there very tightly with no need to attach it to the arch although you could drill a hole through it and put a zip tie around it and it would be alomst impossible to see without looking for it. The rear tire is now totally exposed and the hugger next to unnoticeable, but still there to keep crap off the mono shock. I also cut out the chain guard piece, cleaned it up with the dremmel tool and put back on , on it's own without it being attached to the hugger. Looks good.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Again, my apologies. I did not search before posting. I am surprised that Scott Nelson didn't call me on that yet!
Hey! I haven't even said anything yet. Give me a break! :-[

I wouldn't have mentioned anything on this one anyway, because it doesn't show up weekly like some of the other topics.

They don't put huggers on the Superbikes or on the Multistrada. If you don't mind a little more stuff thrown onto your rear shock, it shouldn't be a problem if you leave the hugger off. Chain lube should be the least of your worries. If you're using chain wax, you shouldn't have any flying off anyway.

The next Monster I own will be stripped down as far as possible and will definitely have the hugger removed. The last one had a shortened hugger (about 4").

Go ahead and remove it. It's not like you can't put it back as is the case if you chop the tail.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would really like to see that... having a tough time visualizing it. Sounds original. If you already have a digital picture, you can post it - check the FAQ page.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The hugger was one of the first things I binned.

Four years later and I haven't had any problems (My shock really doesn't seem to be any dirtier than other who still have the hugger on).

--Fillmore

W

·
0 Posts
I saw an SR4 at a local shop without a hugger, standard I would assume...

just take it off.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I usually ride without any fenders, front or rear, during the non-rainy months. during the rain season they go back on. kinda like a convertible. :)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Not so much worried about dirt on the shock as about pelting the shock arm.

Mine is still on for this reason (chopped a little).

edit: j.davis, can you post a picture of the lexan mount?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I also ride without the rear fender, I just think it looks a lot better. Has anyone on here actually ever had any problems with their shocks from something hitting it? Seems to me that with the positioning of the shock above and forward of the swingarm it would be VERY unlikely that anything other than a little dirt and water could get thrown up there. I'd think anything big enough to do damage would get tossed off below the swing arm...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I took mine off about 2 months ago, I like it alot and yes you get a little more road cr*p, but get a power washer and all your problems are sloved.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Scott,

Reading your previous post about completely stripping down a monster made me realize that's exactly why I wanted a monster in the first place!

This afternoon i pulled off the hugger (just cracked over the weekend anyway), the CF side plates, the CF pipe guards (that bolt to the rearsets and keep your feet off the pipe. my feet never hit them anyway), the little grey plastic 'fins' that are bolted under the gas tank and next to the airbox on either side, and the clutch cover. I had already chopped the tail, removed the smog stuff and front fender (that cracked too.. heh. too much railroad crossing jumps i guess) and installed clip-ons.

I was going to take a picture of it but its soooo dirty rite now from the bad weather we have had I didn't. I'll take a couple pix this weekend though.

And man, is the clutch loud without the cover! Pedestrians would look at me like it was about to explode and would go out of their way to walk waaaay around it at stop lights.. lol!

-mike

edit: speeeeeling

Hey! I haven't even said anything yet. Give me a break! :-[I wouldn't have mentioned anything on this one anyway, because it doesn't show up weekly like some of the other topics.

They don't put huggers on the Superbikes or on the Multistrada. If you don't mind a little more stuff thrown onto your rear shock, it shouldn't be a problem if you leave the hugger off. Chain lube should be the least of your worries. If you're using chain wax, you shouldn't have any flying off anyway.

The next Monster I own will be stripped down as far as possible and will definitely have the hugger removed. The last one had a shortened hugger (about 4").

Go ahead and remove it. It's not like you can't put it back as is the case if you chop the tail.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
And man, is the clutch loud without the cover! Pedestrians would look at me like it was about to explode and would go out of their way to walk waaaay around it at stop lights.. lol!
I just hope you have loud pipes and an open airbox to go with it. 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just hope you have loud pipes and an open airbox to go with it. 8)
Hah ofcourse. My stain-tune pipes need repacking so they are nice and obnoxious. Altho my airbox is closed, but i been meaning to rejett the fcr's anyway.. ill probably pop it open soon.

-mike

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
If you go to member's photos and look under pitbull you can see some pics of how I worked the hugger issue. I basically cut a centre piece out and used the propane torch to change the angle of the plastic relative to where it bolts in to the swingarm. It now sits flush angainst the arch tightly, but is still functional.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yep I like the way it looks with out the huger....

·
Registered
221 Posts
i took mine off just to goof around and pretend to be busy. another perk i realized is it is a LOT easier to lube the chain now. i just cover the sing arm with a rag and spray right on top...zoom, done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts