Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did it. Really easy. The hardest part was finding a 3/16 allen wrench to remove the footpegs. After that it was smooth sailing. I've been told by my betters that it really won't matter performance wise but it still looks much cleaner. Just a word to the wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
After that you can remove the right side spacers on mufflers and peg hangers. Then you can use old style carbon side panels, too.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I was you, I would stop using Standard tools on your Ducati. The bike is complete Metric and you will soon find a bolt that will strip instead of come out with standard wrenches.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I have been itching to do this thing and it seems ok. I will certainly use the proper metrics on any movin parts. Whadda ya mean on the right side? My only problem now is; what size bolt do I use to close the throttle body intakes? Do I need to take the brass pieice to the local Hanks or do I need to find a special piece?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
If we do not go riding tomorrow due to inclement weather, I will come over and show you, or you can come over and we'll take care of it. I have the bolts, I can bring em. Do not ride without plugging the holes. Are there holes in the brass fittings or are they solid?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Groovy. And no I don't lurk on the board I was just lucky.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I wouldn't use a bolt to close the nipples on the intakes. Go to an auto parts store and get a couple of small rubber caps and small clamps (the spring kind, not the screw kind) to go on there. That is what I did. (I actually had all these items in stock as I do lots of bike/car work). It is common practice on all vehicles. Easily removed when you want to sync the tb's. The screws being locktited in could end up giving you problems.

Just my .02, but you can do whatever you want.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
if you use a bolt (5mm x 5mm, i think) and sealing washers you will be fine. plugging the vacuum hoses makes carb sinking much easier though. and, yes, use quality metric tools. a metric hammer is not needed though ;D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what are quality metric tools? If I am going to invest in a good set of Metrics what brand should I get and is there a set designed for our bikes?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I usually go with whatever has a lifetime warranty.

I have some Craftsman, Tru Value, whatever it is that Home Depot sells, and even some Harbor Frieght (they have a local store, and they do honor their lifetime warranty). I've never had to return a Craftsman tool, but I did have a Tru Value 1/2" ratchet puke on me, they gave me a new one, no questions asked. It's always best to buy local so you can get quick replacements. Thus the Sears, Tru Value, Home Depot, etc. If you get like S&K's etc. they can be hard to track down for a replacement. Snapons are nice but damned high priced.

I did order a set of combo wrenches from Harbor Frieght as they included every size between like 19mm and 32mm. They have been just fine. I use my Craftsmans for the 3mm to 19mm though.

and when you buy sockets, GET 6 POINT. Or at least have a set of both 12 point and 6 point. But those 6 points will save your butt more often than not. Much better bite on the nuts ;D

You don't want to cheap out on the hex or allen wrenches though. I have a good Craftsman set up to 8mm, then I got some good ones from AutoZone that are 10, 12, 14, and 17mm for the big plugs on the Duc.

Most of my hand tools are Craftsman though. I just supply my wife and kids with a list (usually circle the exact item in the Craftsman catalog) of what I want before each holiday, fathers day, and birthday. That way I get exactly what I need.

My most frequently used tool though is probably my 5hp industrial air compressor. Airing tires, blowing dust off, using my air ratchets or impacts, air shears, blow gun for work on carbs. You just can't beat having a GOOD capacity air compressor at the ready.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Get a set of metric allens with the ball type tip. There are fasteners that are impossible to get at without them.
I do not loctite the bolts on the intake tubes, I put a dab of sealer like RTV or threebond on, stops leaks and backing out.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I capped the vacuum fittings at first, but thought it was way FUGLY. I've put stainless steel buttonhead bolts in for a much cleaner look.

Taking them out and screwing in the synch fittings is realy no big deal.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
yep, bikes look a lot cleaner with out that.
What did you guys replaced the breather with......
This is the cheapest thing I could fine. $11.00

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Juan,

Where did you get that oil breather? It's pretty bad-ass looking...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hey bloodshut, you can get it at any auto parts store.
I got it at one in Daly City. dont' know the name, If you look for one and Can't find it, let me know, and I will get it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
You can get the mini filters at any Pep Boys. They have them in black, red, gold, chrome, blue and I think white or yellow. The end fits inside the hose on top of the breather and are $9.99 They are in the area of Import car bling-bling accesories.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so what are quality metric tools? If I am going to invest in a good set of Metrics what brand should I get and is there a set designed for our bikes?
I got a 6 piece set of Craftsman for approx $30.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts