Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past (on old Honda and Husky bikes), I've always just clamped the vise grips down real tight and turned the studs out. Reading through the Haynes suggests using a special tool to pull the studs out. Anyone used one of these? Is it necessary? I don't see why I would need it since I'm going to through the old studs away anyhow...

-dj

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping this up as I'm still wondering...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
If you want to re-use 'em, you can use some special tool, or just do the double-nut trick.

If you're gonna bin 'em, it's no difference on what tool you use.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have a stud removal tool that I bought at Sears that works great and it wasn't expensive. I saw them there the other day, so I know they still carry them. Looks very similar to the one in the Haynes Manual. CW says if you remove the studs you should replace them. I guess it has something to do with metal fatigue and such. . . I'd view it as cheap insurance and go ahead and replace them if you need to remove them. I'm in the process of putting my 97 M900 back together and decided not to fool with the studs.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not planning on keeping the old studs. Got a set of FBF ones ready to go on. I tryed using the double nut trick tonight, but alas, it did not work. If I could only find my vise grips! grrrrr!!! I hate it when my tools aren't put away...

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
i use double nut "trick". trap the box end wrench on inside and lock nuts together with it and ratchet on the top. be sure to "back" the top of the stud to prevent lateral force and to isolate your force to twisting only. you'll really need to do this when installing the new studs, as they need at least 15 ft-lb.

:) chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts