Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again,

After running in my new Arrow full system on my 2007 S4R, the headerpipes turned quite blue for the first 3-4 inches, then pretty deep gold for the next 12" inches or so. I know the "infamous" 02 sensor's leaner mapping helped contribute to this. Regardless, the discoloration bugged me. I decided to try and see if I could minimize it.

I used medium grade steelwool with Simichrome metal polish. I started in a hidden area first, and surprisingly it took all the discoloration off with little effort. The cleaning of the whole system took less than 15 minutes. The finish is actually cleaner looking than stock out of the box, with slightly more sheen, but not shiny. The color overall is far more uniform...a slightly warmish stainless color, and the pipes look better than when first installed. In addition, this cleaning actually shows off the quality of the factory welds, which are impressive. Joe X

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I like blueing though, It lets you know it's stainless, plus I think it looks good anyways.

Still, do as Chris said, it'd be nice to know.

Justin

·
Registered
650 Posts
NAKID said:
Report back and let us know if the blueing comes back after riding another couple hundred miles...
About guaranteed that it will. "Blueing" is surface oxidation (blue oxide) that forms in the presence of high heat and impurities in the atmosphere. There's nothing you can do about the latter. The former can be helped through tuning to try and lower how lean your bike is running and thus lower your exhaust gas temperature.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Drjones said:
About guaranteed that it will. "Blueing" is surface oxidation (blue oxide) that forms in the presence of high heat and impurities in the atmosphere. There's nothing you can do about the latter. The former can be helped through tuning to try and lower how lean your bike is running and thus lower your exhaust gas temperature.
You could always have the pipes ceramic coated. Several people have had that done to aftermarket as well as the stock pipes... Some coaters have a product that looks like lightly polished stainless steel...

·
Banned
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NAKID said:
Report back and let us know if the blueing comes back after riding another couple hundred miles...
I will report back next week. Out of town through the weekend and the bike has to sit. :( I will take some before and after pics too. Joe X

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.