Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm the first to admit I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box. So let me get this straight:

-Fill tank with fuel (& Stabil)
-Run for ten minutes
-Remove battery, attach battery tender

I thought I was not supposed the lift tank when it was full, so how do I take the battery out now?

Stop laughing, I'm kinda serious

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
just have a friend there to hold the tank. You should be fine unless you tip it all the way up. that's what I'd do. someone will probably jump on here and say I'm an idiot soon enough, though.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
IMO, there's 2 main ways that folks go wrong with the tank, both are extremely abusive to the hinge bracket that's welded to the tank:

A) Riding around with the latch not fastened.

B) Tilting a full tank *all* the way back and only letting the hinge support it.

You can get the tank tilted up enough to get the battery out by using a hammer as a prop, with the handle up against the bottom of the tank and the head resting on the airbox.

Davesax36 has good advice, an assistant to 'spot' you on the tank is prudent.
Dropping a full tank on your hands is gonna hurt...

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I just did this yesterday, by myself. Not too hard really. I let the tank rest on my shoulder while I disconnected the battery. The hardest part was getting the battery out of the rubber boot. my vent hose kept coming off, no biggie really, and I never had the tank raised past 90 degrees.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think another thing that stresses the tank weld is using the tank prop when the tank is full (or nearly so). Since the prop holds it on one side, it applies a torsional load to the weld plate. Thet just seems bad to me.

I'd suggest you have someone hold the tank up or, as suggested above, find a way to support it in the middle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mucky, you said something about the "vent hose kept coming off"...
mucky said:
... my vent hose kept coming off, no biggie really, ...
is this hose part of the battery? or something else? Because I must have read the manual and shop manual a dozen time and don't remember reading or seeing any illustration on such hose. Yet my friend's bike (old Suzuki) battery (one that can add distill water to) has such vent hose.

And speaking of batter, my 2005 M620 battery seems like is a seal battery, so no way / need to add distill water, is that correct?

Just curious - am too is a fairly dull crayon in the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts