Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M600 with a K&N filter,dynojet kit stage 2 and just removed completely the airbox lid .The bike feels all right and it revs up quicker but it makes TOO much noise .I can't say i don't like it but a cop already stopped me because of that!Are there any tricks to reduce the noise a bit without reducing the airflow?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did the same things on my m900 + a pair of ART cans and the results, performance wise, were well worth the trouble. I put the standard cans back on because I couldn't take the din on long runs and then really noticed the 'honk' from the air intake. I've heard of people drilling half inch holes in the standard lid to get more air in but keep the noise down, maybe you could try that.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've heard, but don't know that removing the snorkels helps flow without ALL of the noise.

Thread hijack - sorry:
johnnypebs, what do your ART cans look like? I have something on my M900 that no one including the previous owner can identify. Oval aluminum with a raised bead along the flat sides from end to end and absolutely no markings what so ever.

I've looked at tons of pics and I think ART had the closest looking model. No one over here that I've talked to is familiar with ART.

Pics of mine are in the Members Bikes/Mark J folder. Mine sound just right.

H

·
0 Posts
Boy, if you don't like the intake noise, be glad you don't have a dry clutch!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You need loud pipes to even out the airbox noise. I'm serious.

Removing just the snorkels lets out more than half of the intake sound you'll get with a completely open airbox.

If you don't like the sound, keep the full airbox lid on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mark, I don't think you have ART cans. Have a look on www.artcarbon.com

Jamsfera, what part of Greece do you live in? On Rhodes it seems everybody has a 'step through' like a honda 90 with a race exhaust, they look like pukka model specific ones too, not bodged. Maybe ART have missed out on a big market.
I rode into a town called Archangelos one day just as the school got out, silent one minute then dozens of these bikes roaring and wheelie-ing round the 'race track' they created out of a few streets. The noise was like the classic grid taking off at East Fortune, amazing.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
If you ask me, I LOVE THE SOUND OF MY INTAKE GULPING AIR... my monster is a living machine... like a steel horse (sorry bon-jovi) heh :)

I have Staintune cans to go with my open airbox/K&N...

I would never put my lid back on...I also have my tank pad off which allows me to hear my intake even more...

Do you have your tank pad off?
If you put it on..it quiet things down some...but a little less flow...

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
So can I take my cover off on my S4R? I don't want engine problems, but I do want that sound! I'm sure I'd have to add a K&N too, right?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Mine came to me with a cut cover. I can hear it over the DP pipes and dry clutch. I would go slow. Start with a small hole and increase slowly to a sound you can live with.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My 907 has a K&N and a cut-out top of the air box. LOVE the intake roar. The Ducati honk goes so well with the twins exhaust. Makes me think about the race bikes...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I have a M600 with a K&N filter,dynojet kit stage 2 and just removed completely the airbox lid .The bike feels all right and it revs up quicker but it makes TOO much noise .I can't say i don't like it but a cop already stopped me because of that!Are there any tricks to reduce the noise a bit without reducing the airflow?
Just the air box makes too much noise??? and the cop stoped you for air box noise???? What pipes you have on that???? My air box is open and it makes a cool whhoopppff sound when you shift, but the noise is minimal compared too the Sil exhausts I have on.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Nothing like an open clutch cover,open airbox and SilMotor 105 db pipes.....Music to my ears!!! I had quite a laugh on saturday when i was driving downtown,i was waiting for green light with my Duc in neutral with the clutch rattling. A guy went past and looked really terrified when he saw the clutch rotating...hehehe. You should seen the look in his eyes when he saw the clutch rotating and rattling like h-e-l-l ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I was at Starbucks near my sub division and was on my bike ready to leave when a middle age guy in a Audi S4 pullled up next to me. He gave me a disapproving look and turned to say something to his buddy. That is when I started my bike (M900 w/ open everything & RR exhaust) and blipped the throttle - he jumped up startled like a scaried dog! I bet he crapped his tighty white-ies.

I know - BAD Me - childish 36yearsold Me. But fun. hehehheee

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have always been told that your engine will suck in all kinds of crap without the airfilter, which can have a detrimental effect on the bores. I have an open airbox with a K&N and love the sound, and love the fact that no-one can resist the urge to turn and look at what is coming their way (safer too!). I particularly like the sound it makes in underground carparks! I think it could easily go louder, since I hear Harleys all the time that seem to drown me out :mad:

Pretty much every car I have had gets a K&N induction kit too - I need that sound!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I love starting my bike when people are walking behind it on the street. A glance in the mirror at a group of people looking to run for cover always makes my day.

I know its mean...but so funny

·
Registered
588 Posts
I seriously drown out my mates HD ;D
(loose the exhaust packing!!!) ;)

I got a mate to do a run past at about 180k while i stood on the side of the freeway................My whole body shook, instant goose bumps & a boner, love it [smiley=waytogo.gif]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts