Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this?
If so what method works best (I thought about heating up adhesive to remove easier)
If not recommended please tell as well

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Grab 'em and pull. They come right off.

-D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled mine off, but there was 2 dabs of some kind of glue on each one, that I gave up on trying to chip off, so I stuck em back on!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay...they're off.....now about that pesky glue residue......any ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a hair dryer on the reflectors and some GooGone to clean off the adhesive residue.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
GooGone or Honda spray cleaner/polish. But as long as you're asking-I wouldn't take safety equipment off my bike. It's hard enough dodging all the idiots out there with a bright yellow bike...but that's just my $0.02
T.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I add reflective safety "stuff" cause I ride home at night from work, by myself. My boss followed me down the road one night after work, and the next day he told me , he couldn't even see me!! So, I added a few extras for night riding. :-[ [smiley=worried.gif]

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
??? ???
we dont have things like reflectors in the U.K
::)

:p

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
T's right about night time visibility, but don't assume that federally manded safety equipment is the answer.

I pulled my stock fork reflectors and put some 3M tape on my fender. It's red and is not noticable unless the light hits a certain way.

But seriously folks, your clothes are really the best way to be visible. I put the same red tape on my anthricite helmet, but I have all black leathers with NO reflective material at all. My cordura has just one little reflective strip in the patch pocket on the left leg. My leather gloves... nada. My cordura gloves have some strips.

I've been considering being the ultimate pussy and getting one of those reflective cross-stripe vests for riding home at night. It will pack even under the Monster's unwelcoming seat.

Anyway, either you're serious about night time visibility, or you want to look cool. I don't believe there's much middle ground! Personally, I'm stuck in the middle :-[

·
Registered
455 Posts
I pulled mine off with a strong tug and a slight twist. I had some glue left over and all efforts to remove it have failed (heat, Goo-Gone, WD-40, you name it). That glue is as hard as a rock. I gave up. There are more attractive ways of staying visible than those ugly things.

·
Registered
455 Posts
...and the superbike forks i'm about to install didn't come with any.. ;D
Hehe... good point. Mine didn't either. They just arrived in the mail today!

·
Registered
61 Posts
NOT FOR USE ON PAINTED SURFACES. do NOT use on PAINTED surfaces. Painted surfaces and this stuff=BAD.

OK, now that we've gotten this far, I assume you realize the following solution is NOT FOR USE ON PAINTED SURFACES.

And, the answer is...JASCO Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover (NOT FOR USE ON PAINTED SURFACES).

For that matter, DON'T USE IT NEAR painted surfaces. One of the things it is is Paint REMOVER. It is, also, epoxy and glue remover (if that's what they use to hold the reflectors on). Do not think if you get a drop on a painted surface you can wipe it off without wiping off the paint, too. It only takes a fraction of a second to do damage. It did not, however, damage the finish of my forks, which is good.

Method: Put a glob of the stuff the size of a drain plug on a disposable towel, carefully rub it gently on the affected area, wait 5 to 10 minutes, and rub off gently making sure you do NOT get any of the stuff on PAINTED surfaces. I did two applications because my forks still had some of the white tape stuck to them. Then, I wiped my forks off afterward with a wet rag.

Good luck.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Goo Gone and WD-40 WILL get that glue residue off.

Eventually.

Gotta be patient and use a lot of it, though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Goo Gone and WD-40 might get glue residue off, but it did not get the epoxy off that the dealer put on. Only JASCO would. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hey Speed Racer, I assume that stuff should NOT BE USED AROUND PAINTED SURFACES, huh? Hehehehe!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts