Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the final stages of a custom 2V monster rebuild and have a really quick question for you all. Can the oil temperature sensor be moved from the horizontal intake cover to the horizontal exhaust cover? Rightly or wrongly, I'm thinking that it might impact the readings as it's now closer to exhaust gasses rather than cooler fuel air mixture giving artificially high temp readings.

Anybody move their sensor?

Best,
Marco

·
Registered
562 Posts
You know I was just thinking about that the other day seeing one of the old Multi-Strada 620s. The put them on the vertical, but still on the intake side. I'm considering fabing up and different battery mount and trying it. Still on the intake side though. I don't think I want to see what might happen with it on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think I want to know either...

Funny you mention an old multistrada 620. I’m trying to mount an oil cooler to an M620 converted to HC (11:1) M750. I know I’m decades behind this build, but it’s my first build and an M620 is what I had.

Anywho, I accidentally bought one of the valve covers with a mounting bracket but no temp gauge hole, so that’s of limited use if the sensor can’t be moved.

Have you ever seen an oil cooler bracket fabricated to mount over the horizontal intake cover using the already available bolt holes and slightly longer bolts? I recall reading something like that

·
Registered
562 Posts
I see. If that's the case, you're definitely looking at some major tuning changes anyway. I would just do it. I zeroed out all engine temp related fueling corrections a long time ago. So there's really nothing preventing me from doing it as well. I don't know off hand if the harness connection will reach back there. If not, I would consider just splicing in a resistor as opposed to taking the trouble to lengthen the wiring for no real reason. Just to avoid a completely open circuit. If you have have an extra blank cover, even better. You can say goodbye to the sensor completely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that's a good point. I did end up buying the correct bracket, only because I have already learned too much about my bike through this process and I do want to be able to ride it at least a couple times this season. I might ask my local shop to see what they say about relocating the sensor. Sorry for the delay in responding by the way, been tackling wiring harness and body work...by the way this is what the bike looks like, less wiring harness. I know it's not the best picture, but I can post some better ones once it's actually together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts