Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to relocate the horn on a S4, if so where and pics if you have them of the mod. My opinion its one of the most unsightly things on a monster other than the tail. Just trying to clean things up a bit.

H

·
0 Posts
If you ask D., he'd prob say it doen't need to be there! ;D Naked bike and all...

H

·
0 Posts
I relocated mine behind the fairing, then took them off when I took off the fairing. Been meaning to put at least one of them back on for 6 months or so. I find twisting the throttle a few times works just as well.
Sounds better, too!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've got mine mounted behind the fairing using the bolts that hold the headlight in place. I'd post pics, but I've not advanced into the digital camera age yet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I relocated mine to the round file. They weigh too much for something I never use.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
In the state of Pennsylvania the bike will not pass the yearly state inspection without the horn in working condition, ( let alone it not being there at all)

S

·
0 Posts
I relocated mine to the underside of the metal fairing attached to the back of the fork in front of the radiator. There are two bolts which hold the fairing that can be used to accept the horns, putting them out of sight. They point downwards rather than forward now, and are hidden under the metal fairing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey Deb, you need to find a more agreeable inspection station that understands the relationship between money and progress ;D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Here in Michigan we don't have a yearly inspection so thats not an issue and if it was like when I get a title for a home built I put it on temporally.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
If you move the OEM horns behind the fairing, they are too quiet to be very effective.

I mounted these Fiamms behind the fairing. They are the same size and have the same brackets as the OEM horns, but they are much louder and very annoying.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am planning on mounting mine under the lil black sub fairing pointing down out of the way. There is a yellow S4 on Strati's site that has the horns relocated if someone needs a visual.

R

·
0 Posts
On the S4R, they are mounted on the bracket holding the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
206 Posts
living and riding in nyc - i shudder at the thought of not having a horn....

cheers!
steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey All -
Yes... I've been wondering about relocating mine as well. Kind of makes the S4 look a little too reminiscent of an old Kawi patrol bike, if you ask me (especially when I have the Dart Flyscreen mounted up!). Sort of Cop-lite Italian-style.
Anyway... I recently picked up a CF belly pan that looks like a perfect hiding spot for a dual horn arrangement. I realize it may not be as effective volume-wise but perhaps a switch to the more grating Fiamm Road Blasters for this might do thi trick.
Thoughts?
Cheers!
Christian

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm with tmronin, riding in San Francisco without a horn would scare the sh!t out of me. I use the horn almost daily in the city with all the morons that pull out in front of you, can't pick a lane, merge into you, etc. The louder Fiamm horn sounds like a good idea though, anything to be more "visible" when necessary...

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I once thought the S4 horns were ugly, but the whole "I don't feel like turning my head to check my blind spot" type driver makes them beautiful.

One thing I have noticed though, when I blow the horn, it seems to startle the drivers around me and cause them to swerve into adjacent lanes as they try to identify the "drowning flock of geese" sound.

M

·
0 Posts
Yo, wingnut, you're just trying to get the S4 to look as clean as the baby 620 sitting next to it. Good luck roomie!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts