Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of further nakedizing my ride, I decided to remove the reflectors off the front forks since I never have the occassion to ride at night, and I don't want all that extra weight and wind resistance slowing me down

H

·
0 Posts
I ran into the same problem. Spent half an our trying to scrape the sh!t off, Then said F it, and glued them back on...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Two words. Carb Cleaner. It will dissolve the glue in the tape and should be easy to wipe off.

-dj

H

·
0 Posts
It's not the glue from the tape, it's this hard epoxy type sh!t they used in addition to the tape.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
My 01 had that same hard glue. I think it's super glue like material. at any rate, i used an exacto knife and very carefully got the tip under the edge of the glue and just chipped away at it. It's about 99% unnoticable at this point. I'm more than satisfied. It is tough to work with though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used pure acetone...I assume nail polish remover would work too, or carb cleaner. If you need to scrape at it, don't use anything too hard, it will scratch the finish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Before you pull them off, lift an edge and squirt some Goo-be-Gone on as much of the tape as possible. Let it sit for a while and they should pull off easier with less residue. Squirt more goo-be-gone on the left over glue and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. Be patient, it takes a while.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Glad it's been brought up. Hopefully there is a solution. Seems like a common problem with all M1000s.

I have the same glue dots (2 on each fork) that are just stuck there. Some chipped off but most of it is still there. Tried a few chemicals, plastic scraper, Xacto, fingernail - none of them worked. Gave up and just left them there. But one of these days... At least it's clear glue.

Z

·
0 Posts
Same here. I've tried just about everything. Nothing will get that clear super glue stuff off.
I'm almost to the point of taking a torch to the forks. Maybe if we heat the adhesive, it would come off.
Do you think it would harm anything?
Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NOT FOR USE ON PAINTED SURFACES. do NOT use on PAINTED surfaces. Painted surfaces and this stuff=BAD.

OK, now that we've gotten this far, I assume you realize the following solution is NOT FOR USE ON PAINTED SURFACES.

And, the answer is...JASCO Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover (NOT FOR USE ON PAINTED SURFACES).

For that matter, DON'T USE IT NEAR painted surfaces. One of the things it is is Paint REMOVER. It is, also, epoxy and glue remover (if that's what they use to hold the reflectors on). Do not think if you get a drop on a painted surface you can wipe it off without wiping off the paint, too. It only takes a fraction of a second to do damage. It did not, however, damage the finish of my forks, which is good.

Method: Put a glob of the stuff the size of a drain plug on a disposable towel, carefully rub it gently on the affected area, wait 5 to 10 minutes, and rub off gently making sure you do NOT get any of the stuff on PAINTED surfaces. I did two applications because my forks still had some of the white tape stuck to them. Then, I wiped my forks off afterward with a wet rag.

Good luck.

·
Banned
166 Posts
Search function works. ;D

I have the same problem. And I am great at removing sticky stuff. Easy now... Seriously though from A-Z I have all sorts of tricks up my sleeve. No luck on this. It is not the residue from the double stick foam, it's a clear epoxy of some sort. Hardened up and stuck on like friggin JB Weld. Not just dots of it either looks like they applied it to most of the double stick before applying so I have some "dots" that could be chipped off carefully but some is just a thin layer running the length of the removed reflector down in the texture of the forks.

Sorry for the resurrection but can I get a confirmation on Speed Racers solution? And believer me I will mini-tarp the fender and wheel to be sure. Thanks for the subtle warnings. I just want to make sure it won't damage the finish of the forks.

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts