Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So do people know the RPM level where you are hurting the engine on the S4? I know this is probably a rookie question, but I just don't know, and there is no red zone on the tach. Is there a general rule of thumb?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Stock rev limiter will cut in at approximately 9500rpm, so the engine won't go past that while you're under power. The same basic engine has higher rev limiters on ST4 and SBK application, so it's very safe.

If you pinned the throttle in neutral or missed a shift really big, it would briefly overshoot that by some, probably no more than 500rpm.

It's generally possible to push an engine past the rev limiter with a way early downshift, it can be a problem in cars. I think our Ducs will wheel hop bad enough that it won't push the engine past the rev limiter in that situation.
-------------------------------------------------------
PS - Growl, are you in Southern California?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't know what the redline is for the S4, but doesn't it say in your manual? Yeah, I know, who ever actually reads those things? Mine does.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Could it be 10.5k on the Foggy? Can't read them darn Ducati gauges, and when I hit the limiter I'm usually not paying attention to anything anyways...

Pretty sure it's over 9.5k though.

-R.

·
Registered
403 Posts
funny the different things you hear, my dealer told me 10,250....someone else told me 10,250 is the hard llimiter and a soft one at 9,500....???? what the eff is that??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, for your helpful info. Speeddog, I'm in NorCal -- San Francisco.

Follow up question -- does it hurt the bike to hover around 7K RPMs when you're driving? I always stay low (4-5K) thinking that I will hurt the engine if I keep it at 6K or so on a regular basis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts