Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to flog a dead horse here as this subject has been tackled ad nauseam, but I'd like to share my experience solving this little problem.

I bought an 04' M800. Got a really good deal on the bike as the first owner had lost the red key. (still can't figure out how people manage to do that. Treat it like a passport. Anyways...)

The gauge cluster became water damaged and the needles stopped responding. As we all know, without the red key blah blah blah.

I've just found a locksmith who's got quite a bit of experience with immobilisers. I found a used gauge and sent it to him with my old one and one of my keys. He told me he could pull the immobilser code off my old gauge and program it into the new one so the bike wold be none the wiser. In addition, he claims to be able to make a new red key using the code from the gauge (and cut it using the pattern from my black key)
I just got a call from his shop and they said he's all done.

I'll keep you all informed as to the results. If this works, I can finally write a letter to Bologna telling them to go **** themselves.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I sell cloneable key blanks on ebay

Do a search for Ducati transponder key blank. My user ID is shockwavetechnologies. I sell a lot of these--and have never had anyone not be able to clone their existing black key with one of my key blanks. These are Silca--straight from Italy. Same OEM that Ducati uses.

A word of warning though, the ones with the Ducati logo (the stylized D) don't work. And the Chinese knockoffs (with the blue heads) often don't work either--or so I've been told by my customers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input - however I'm not talking about cloning a black key. I'm talking about making a new RED key, so that in the future if I ever need to do something which requires it, such as installing the Termignoni ECU, I'll have that ability.

I'll update this thread when my parts are returned this Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Forget about the red key black key...send your ECU to reflash therapy and that's it....make as many keys as you want and no problem...Many vendors offer this service...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed

That was an option I was contemplating as well. I went this route because the guy in question had a gauge for a reasonable price.

As for the red key, I agree with you that flashing the ECU and having the immobiliser disabled is another good route, but I'm not too worried about it. I won't lose my new red key, because I'm not retarded. LOL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with you...

Maybe further down the road I'll look into some different gauges, but for now I like the stock setup. I'm very much an analogue kind of guy when it comes to tachs and speedos.

Plus the only modifcations I make to my bikes are aimed at performance. Gauge unit don't make a bike handle better, sadly.

Thanks for showing me these sites though... some nice looking stuff. I'll keep these in mind for when I build a bike from the ground up...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eureka!

Just got everything back from the shop and it works!!! So nice to have a working speedo and tach again! AND there's a working red key!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts