Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues with my bike again...Got everything worked out with my mecanic, but now the issue is with the shop who sold me the bike. I had no idea about the infamous red key when I bought my Duc a little more than a month ago. The bike was bought as a as is bike from a nonducati dealership.

Spoke with the shop all last week. They told me that the guy that traded it in was looking for the key, and if he couldn't find it they would work something out for me. Only to pretty much tell me that I am SOL yesterday. They said that since I bought the bike as is that they will are no in anyway liable to pay for the neccery repairs.

I've been told that I have to buy around 1500 worth in parts to get my duc back on the road. Is there anyway around this??? I am in the process of trying to get in touch with the owner of the place where I bought my bike, but the dick is dodging me left and right.

Any advice?!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
what they said was true in the past. you would have had to replace your cpu and all of your locks (seat, ignition, gas cap) for about $1500.

search for my posts on this subject over the past couple days. i JUST found a guy on ebay that sells a silca replacement black key blank that CAN be coded off of your existing black key by a locksmith's "cloner"

ducati OEM black keys CANNOT be coded off of your existing black key because they already have some sort of code on them.

this is HUGE for guys like us where the previous owners of our bikes "are still searching" for our original red/black keys.

your local locksmith will hopefully have the cloner and/or even the silca blank, since all locksmiths can order silca blanks.

good luck, and let us know how it goes! i'm getting ready to do this myself if i don't hear back from the original seller. it sounds legit to me, although i'd find a local locksmith that i could bring the blank into (if they don't carry it themselves) so that i wouldn't have to send it in to this guy. this guy tells you what cloning machines to ask for in the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=300038058927&ih=020&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
oh. i just re-read your post. are you saying that your black key is no longer working? that's a whole 'nother issue entirely.

check e-bay for seat/ignition/gas cap combos, or replace the ecu w/ an aftermarket one? those are the solutions i've heard about.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That must be the lamest dealer ever. If they are going to tell you you are SOL they should have sold your bike at the price of a red keyless bike which would be consierably less. Just because they got screwed no excuse to pass that on to their customer :mad:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
simonster said:
oh. i just re-read your post. are you saying that your black key is no longer working? that's a whole 'nother issue entirely.

check e-bay for seat/ignition/gas cap combos, or replace the ecu w/ an aftermarket one? those are the solutions i've heard about.
Yeah I've got both black keys, but neither one will alow me to start the bike...Are you saying that if I was to buy say a power commander ECU. It would work?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
tonkoshala said:
Yeah I've got both black keys, but neither one will alow me to start the bike...Are you saying that if I was to buy say a power commander ECU. It would work?
Assuming that your only problem is immobilizer related, if you buy an FIM ECU, you're good to go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is so much wrong information flying around on this subject, it's not even funny....

The cheapest (and In my opinion, maybe the best) option is to purchase a new ECU/Gauge set from your dealer. These can be had for about $450 bucks, give or take. The bike will then run with ANY key that will turn the ignition, and you will no longer have an immobilizer. The only difference is a countdown will display on startup and the gauges will not sweep.

You can replace EVERYTHING for under 900 bucks. That includes new key set, locks, ecu and gauges. If you want to go that route, that is.

The FIM ECU is 700+ bucks and unless you plan on having your bike tuned, it probably isn't really worth it.

Shop some prices, you'll see it's not the end of the world. It's no longer the $2500 repair it once was.

Reid

·
Registered
760 Posts
tonkoshala said:
Why don't you try bump starting the bike if the keys actually turn the ignition to the on position? If it catches/runs, your problem is elsewhere.

And unless you use an FIM ECU (personally I like them) you will eventually need a red key. And the power commander will not fix this issue.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Do you have the little metal tab with your code on it, or the card with the same code?

When you put the key in and turn it to the on position, does the LED flash quickly, or does it stay on?

hollowellreid said:
why would one need the red key? Enlighten me.
My shop manual said:
...One red Key:
- This key is used to program, wipe off and reprogram the black keys.
- It is an integral part of the anti-theft system, as it holds the secret code to be sent to the engine control unit
- It may be dismantled: for the event the locks need replacing, this avoids replacing the whole immobilizer system
- It works as a normal ignition key

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have the metal tab. It is not all numbers. It begins with a letter. Will that work?!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just told that the red key is only necerry when adding a new dash. That I can get the bike going with either a DDS or matheses computer to clear the codes along with an extra ground to the ECU. Hopefully my mecanic has one of these computers. I'll update as soon as I know more!

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
tonkoshala said:
I do have the metal tab. It is not all numbers. It begins with a letter. Will that work?!
I am at work, but I remember reading there was a way to start the bike and I believe disable the system. Let me read up on it tonight.

Despite that, with the code on that tab, and your VIN, you should be able to buy a new red key from ducati. Again this is all drawing on what I think I remember from reading it last night when I was damn near asleep. Let me check it out when I get home.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ever find out if the metal tab will work? I can't get Ducati on the phone...Left sereval messages, but they haven't called back. Till trying to figure something else before I buy all the other shite...Can anyone confirm if the ECU ground thing works I posted the other day?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
The number on the metal tag is the mechanical code for cutting a new key and has nothing to do with the immobiliser. If you had the code card it would have the electronic code for overriding the immobiliser using the mathesis or the twist grip. This only overrides it once though so you have to do it every time you want to start the bike. Even if you had the electronic code Ducati will not supply a new red key.
If the bike did start with the black keys that you got with the bike what happens now when you try to start it? If the engine doesn't turn over is the orange engine block light on?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SHE'S Alive again!!! The deal with the extra ground wire worked!!! Can't pick her up for a couple of days it's raining here and I have no gear yet...But to all y'all that are having red key issues tell your mecanics to follow the post I have above!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
tonkoshala said:
SHE'S Alive again!!! The deal with the extra ground wire worked!!! Can't pick her up for a couple of days it's raining here and I have no gear yet...But to all y'all that are having red key issues tell your mecanics to follow the post I have above!
Can you give us more details on this 'extra' ground wire?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Nick, Ill wager he is refering to the ECU ground wire that is held inplace by the rear bolt that secures the ECU to the battery/ecu box.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm picking the bike up tomorrow. As of now I'm not really sure the of the process, but I'll find out when I get my bike and post it...

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Do not get too excited guys; if there was a quick way to by-pass the immobiliser then everyone would know about it by now. The reality is that there is not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts