Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the fact that the airbox for the crankcase vent is not needed with the k&n filter, has anyone found any reason to move it like with the TPO kit? I am making my tag relocator tommorrow and can machine me a new part. I may just put it back in the stock location unless overheating is a problem. I am lucky that Ihave a friend with a machine shop, so I can use his tools and knowledge. He also can powder coat, so I am going to see how that works tommorrow. Now I just have to decide on a color scheme with my red bike. How about black chrome?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in the stock location, not much air passes over the regulator. which doesn't really help...
i used some aluminum diamondplate to cut out a new underseat pan. this covers the area the overflow bottle occupied all the way back to the taillight.
i drilled holes to mount the regulator on the underside in an orientation such that the heat-sink's blades travel the direction of the bike.
here's a pic from above with the seat removed. the arrows indicate where it's mounted to the frame:

i don't have a GOOD pic from underneath, but here's one that you can make it out in i think:

powdercoating? sweet... used to do it. it's a ROYAL PITA doing the prepwork, but results are nice. enjoy!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no prob. just a tad more info... i got a sheet of aluminum diamond plate at lowes for $27. i used about 1/2 of it for the underseat pan. cut it using a jigsaw and sanded the edges smooth with a dremel sanding drum. i had plenty left over for other random projects.

by comparison, the "TPO" plate kit thingie is going for $40 on eBay and isn't a full-length pan. only replaces the area that the overflow bottle occupied:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2465729302

for the 20 minutes it took to trace out the lines, cut the sheet, and drill the holes, i'll take my pan any day of the week. and if you're not into the bling, get plain aluminum sheeting instead and add $5 or so for a spray can of rattle paint.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I did the license plate relocator yesterday. We went ahead and powder coated it. The guy I know with the machine shop is about to buy a CNC milling machine (big $$$) so then the possibilities are endless, he also said he would be able to ceramic coat soon.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is another pic...

hey andrew, looks good but have you considered rotating the rectifier 90 degrees? i'd think that the airflow would follow the direction of the bike while in motion so it could course through the heat-sink fins more efficiently?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
strati what model ohlins shock are you runningRe: Rectifier Relocation

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
strati what model ohlins shock are you runningRe: Rectifier Relocation
that's the unit provided with an ST4S. got it new in a "kit" for the ST4. from the whopping 10 miles i've put on the bike with it installed, first impressions are excellent. but i'm already jumping the gun and want to try the unit off a 998 i've gotten my greedy hands on. i'd rather not have the remote reservoirs if possible (simplicity). sorry, but the ST4S unit's already spoken for if the SBK fits the bill.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no that's not what i had in mind but the shock looked so different from the du046 for the S4.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I replied once to you Strati but the site did not post it. I could not rotate mine 90 degrees because the wire were binding to much. So I thought better to have air flow and no air flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts