Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ha! Pipe dream...I get it!:laugh

The Honda MotoGP bikes have Termi stickers on there exhaust, BTW...
Buddy of mine had a second hand HRC WSS CBR600F3 back in the days. Was a Moriwaki sponsored bike in WSS with a Moriwaki plate on the exhaust can. 100% HRC pipe. :grin

(Was completely a work of art fwiw, all thin wall titanium, unbelievably light especially for the 90's. Also made it clear the difference between race parts and consumer stuff, made a habit of cracking header pipes at the head on a regular basis. ;))

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went with Akra, a picture is worth a thousand words. :devil

True the can is a little longer than I prefer, but the sound and headers made up for it. :grin

Buddy of mine had a second hand HRC WSS CBR600F3 back in the days. Was a Moriwaki sponsored bike in WSS with a Moriwaki plate on the exhaust can. 100% HRC pipe. :grin

(Was completely a work of art fwiw, all thin wall titanium, unbelievably light especially for the 90's. Also made it clear the difference between race parts and consumer stuff, made a habit of cracking header pipes at the head on a regular basis. ;))
They may be a work of art, but sometimes the Japanese stuff can go overboard, look at this K-Factory pipe for the S1000RR. :laugh

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice titanium blues!
Yeah really love the result, I get a lot of compliments on it everywhere I go. One problem about the headers is that it's very exposed, if something touches it while it's hot it will leave a mark. Yesterday it gave me a huge scare, not sure who or what touched the blue area and left a mark. Luckily I was able to remove most of it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Those nice headers are not available for the R model :(
I'm getting Termis in the spring tho :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
So, it was hinted at in an earlier email in this thread...but is there any confirmation to the rumor that Ducati has broken with Termignoni due to contract issues...and that as a result they were shifting to Akrapovic? Maybe it's more about following the money than the performance? Perhaps someone closer to Duc knows?
Akrapovic has typically been the exhaust supplier to Ducati MotoGP and SBK teams for some time now while Termignoni has been their street bike aftermarket exhaust vendor. I doubt the choice comes down to who pays more money to provide those exhaust systems when Ducati can spend around $13M for Jorge Lorenzo's services, not to mention all the other expenses associated with making it to the podium in MotoGP. No serious team would risk that.

I had two reasons why I chose Akrapovic over Termignoni; first, the racer in me can't understand the function of 2-into-1-into-2 exhaust simply to look the part. I'm a form follows function type and the weight of the extra can seems a silly price to pay just to look the part. Second, I paid for a full Akrapovic system what Ducati wanted for just the Termi slip-ons and key with a bit left over to help pay for an ECU reflash through Moto-Wheels.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Akrapovic has typically been the exhaust supplier to Ducati MotoGP and SBK teams for some time now while Termignoni has been their street bike aftermarket exhaust vendor. I doubt the choice comes down to who pays more money to provide those exhaust systems when Ducati can spend around $13M for Jorge Lorenzo's services, not to mention all the other expenses associated with making it to the podium in MotoGP. No serious team would risk that.
Absolutely does. Except the marketing folks get to weigh in a little on "branding". The exhaust sponsor don't necessarily supply the exhaust. They pay to put their sticker on it. As does somebody for every sticker you see on a factory racebike. It indicates sponsorship, not usage. Ducati will use the Akra if it works the best, not if it doesn't (although they will put more than a passing effort into making it "look" like a Akra).

John Ulrich's rule #1 of roadracing that he passes down from his experience with the factories to novice club racers, don't put a sticker on a bike unless someone somehow paid you for it. Even the manufacturer on the tank. That's what the factories do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So which "sticker" should I go with?

"As a boy I had monsters under my bed and now as an adult they live in the garage. Just can't get away from them." - Numbercruncher

·
Registered
26 Posts

"As a boy I had monsters under my bed and now as an adult they live in the garage. Just can't get away from them." - Numbercruncher
I'm thrilled with the weight savings, look and sound of my full Akrapovic system. I've seen some posts that complain that it doesn't come with the rear header pipe but even the much more expensive Termignoni system doesn't come with that pipe either. I guess they think most people don't want to go to the trouble of disassembling the rear suspension and subframe to replace it. I wish Ducati would sell the tune-edit key alone but they would probably want same or more $$$ than an ECU reflash costs anyway.

All that said, if cost were absolutely no object then this is the system I'd buy:

·
Registered
782 Posts

IMHO? Whatever swizzles your stick. Stock exhausts are really good these days and hard to improve on. So whatever meets that intersection of price, sound, and performance for you. For the Monster I went inexpensive and pretty good looking, a Shift-Tech. The 1200 had plenty of performance as is for a street bike to me so I wasn't worried about it. Conversely, on my Diavel I went with the $$$ Termi full system simply because I didn't think anything else looked good on that bike.

Like I said in the beginning, if I was looking to burn money because I like purty things, I'd get the Zard.

If I was on a budget and generally happy with the stock exhaust, I'd buy a RapidBike first, then a Shift-Tech slip-on if I wanted some more noise and a better view of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Absolutely does. Except the marketing folks get to weigh in a little on "branding". The exhaust sponsor don't necessarily supply the exhaust. They pay to put their sticker on it. As does somebody for every sticker you see on a factory racebike. It indicates sponsorship, not usage. Ducati will use the Akra if it works the best, not if it doesn't (although they will put more than a passing effort into making it "look" like a Akra).

John Ulrich's rule #1 of roadracing that he passes down from his experience with the factories to novice club racers, don't put a sticker on a bike unless someone somehow paid you for it. Even the manufacturer on the tank. That's what the factories do.
So you claim that an exhaust manufacturer would spend hundreds, if not thousands, of hours creating the perfect pipes for a MotoGP team and allow that team to put another manufacturers name-plate on it? Hard to believe, sorry. Now if the motorcycle team actually makes their own exhausts then you might be correct that they sell that space to the highest bidder but I've seen documentaries about Akrapovic wherein they work hand in hand with race teams.

As to John Ulrich's 1st rule; I raced flattrack in the late 70s to mid 80s for the largest Honda and 4th largest Yamaha dealer in the country, no one put stickers on my bikes or helmets without paying for the privilege. Lancer Leathers gave me 5 or 6 sets each year (more if a particular year was a crash-fest). Bell helmets paid us contingencies just for holding our Stars on the podium. Later, in my sprint-car days if Goodyear wanted their name somewhere they gave me free tires. On the wing, that cost money as well as tires. For our Top Fuel drag boats Valvoline sent over 55 gallon drums of oil for free (not an inconsequential sum considering we changed the 20 quarts twice per run, once after warming the motor and again after a pass). In the 80s and 90s when white letters were in vogue on tires for street cars I had my tires mounted with them to the inside. The only exception to this rule is the Ducati Corse sticker on my Tundra. I fully understand Mr. Ulrich's rule as it was probably my rule first.

·
Registered
782 Posts
So you claim that an exhaust manufacturer would spend hundreds, if not thousands, of hours creating the perfect pipes for a MotoGP team and allow that team to put another manufacturers name-plate on it? Hard to believe, sorry. Now if the motorcycle team actually makes their own exhausts then you might be correct that they sell that space to the highest bidder but I've seen documentaries about Akrapovic wherein they work hand in hand with race teams.

As to John Ulrich's 1st rule; I raced flattrack in the late 70s to mid 80s for the largest Honda and 4th largest Yamaha dealer in the country, no one put stickers on my bikes or helmets without paying for the privilege. Lancer Leathers gave me 5 or 6 sets each year (more if a particular year was a crash-fest). Bell helmets paid us contingencies just for holding our Stars on the podium. Later, in my sprint-car days if Goodyear wanted their name somewhere they gave me free tires. On the wing, that cost money as well as tires. For our Top Fuel drag boats Valvoline sent over 55 gallon drums of oil for free (not an inconsequential sum considering we changed the 20 quarts twice per run, once after warming the motor and again after a pass). In the 80s and 90s when white letters were in vogue on tires for street cars I had my tires mounted with them to the inside. The only exception to this rule is the Ducati Corse sticker on my Tundra. I fully understand Mr. Ulrich's rule as it was probably my rule first.
If they perform less well than other options, yes. Believe what you like but they contract to sponsor, not *necessarily* provide. I've seen first hand everything from exhausts to fairings to helmets masquerading as being made by someone else. I'm surprised given your experience you haven't as well.

And bully on you although I think John might take offense at your claim, he might not be as accomplished as you but has done a few things and is pretty voracious at taking credit when he believes it's due. Especially online. Although this is probably too small of a pond for him to troll.

http://teamhammer.com/team/history/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If they perform less well than other options, yes. Believe what you like but they contract to sponsor, not *necessarily* provide. I've seen first hand everything from exhausts to fairings to helmets masquerading as being made by someone else. I'm surprised given your experience you haven't as well.

And bully on you although I think John might take offense at your claim, he might not be as accomplished as you but has done a few things and is pretty voracious at taking credit when he believes it's due. Especially online. Although this is probably too small of a pond for him to troll.

http://teamhammer.com/team/history/

I broke down and purchased the Termi's over the weekend. Can't wait to get them installed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
676 Posts
Contrary to my post in December, I have opted for the SC Project Conic Carbon unit.
Although nice, I just couldn't see the value of Termis at more than twice the price.
Moreover, other than cosmetic (yes, they look good), I can't see the reasoning for the pipes going from Two to One to Two and adding weight in the process. But that's just me.
Power to those that bought them.

http://www.sc-project.com/ducati_monster_1200_R_photogallery_carbon_conic.htm

21 - 35 of 35 Posts