Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is the only photo I took:

Dawn Patrol indeed........

Had a fun run up the hill, a little better than last weekend as I now have a fresh front tire.
Brian ran up with us, then had to get on with his day.
Leif did also, last we saw he was still at Nuke's?
Patrick, Chad & I did the rest of the run up ACH to the gate. A bit of a challenge with some fairly big rocks in the road, and sections of dappled shadows as it was later in the morning. Perhaps next time we can keep rolling past Nuke's, and exchange some of the waiting time in the parking lot for riding time without shadows.
We came back down and over on Big T, whereupon I had to split off and head for home.
Chad, Patrick and Linda headed North...

Chad and Patrick both had a good time near as I could tell, and they all could actually still be riding right now.
Good to meet you Brian.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Re: Recap: San Diego Crew + ACH DawnPatrol Ride 5-

Hi to the ACH dawn patrol. I enjoyed meeting you all! It's always nice to put a face with the screename. I have a couple of friends (2002 2 valve Monsters) that I ride with frequently, that I'll have to convince to wake up early also. Nick, did I understand there is a later group that rides ACH on Sundays? If so, where and when do they meet and who is part of the later group? Thank again for the introduction to dawn on ACH. ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that Dawn Patrol is not an organzied DML group or an organized ride of any sort! Just some of us that have been riding the hill for many years at Dawn. I do know that Nick has organzied many DML rides for later, perhaps he will again! (think that might be a hint Nick? LOL!)

There are a lot of people (not group rides) that go up later in the morning from the Shell Station (convenient place for folks to meet). Best if you go after 8:00 AM to avoid the sun. Also, you can always ride up the back way which is THE BEST!! Smooth road, no chatter bumps, wide open sweepers. Good place to meet would be the 7-11 located at Oro Vista & Foothill Blvd in Sunland. Head toward the mountains, take Lower Big T to Angeles Forest Hwy, left to Upper Big T (9 mile), right to ACH, left on ACH to Newcombs. Less cops this way and a faster ride. Nick, Kevin, and Mas have ridden this road many times and could attest to the fact that it is a great road to ride.

Would highly suggest you try this way. It's a great road for the Monsters, they love it!

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts

SoCal and PPoitras:

Do we who had to stay home and attend to Mom's breakfast in bed and the other rituals of mothersday get a recap from the SD Boyz?

Or are you guys sleeping in from sleep deprivation on Sunday?

Inquiring minds want to know! What do you think of the Crest?

Regards,

Rideon

·
Registered
445 Posts

I liked the roads. My bike felt weird all day. I got to test ride a 950 Adventure. Patrick said he had fun. The cops made me nervous. C'gal and I took turns playing tag and I left my jacket at her house. I almost fell asleep on the drive home. I still have sleep deprivation. And I'm dreading and procrastinating packing up the apartment.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts

SoCal:

Thanks for the update. Too bad we don't have personal valet's to do those tasks that are despicable, such as packing up one's apartment!

What did you think of the 950? Is it that good to offset the fiddling that KTM's require? (just my observation from watching KTM single owner's bikes) Dual sport seems really cool, having a fire road capable mount. Would you rank it ahead of a GS or a Zuki or a Multistrada for that matter?
Is the seat functional?

Regards,
Rideon

P

·
0 Posts

Lesse, day began at 3:00 AM. Coffee, cliff bars then on the road. Stop for gas in Norco ( gotta love them cows ), saw some well disciplined chickens in the back of a truck. Johnny Cash and The Reverend Horton Heat and before you could say Galaxie 500 we were there. Linda was a great hostess and made sure we as quiet as mice. Something about her neighbors not liking the whole 5:00 AM and three Monsters thing. Anyway, got to the Shell station then the fun begins. ACH is a great road. No where near as technical as Palomar which allows for higher speeds. Great corners and good visibility. I was left far behind but no matter as I rode as fast as I wanted and didn't hold anyone up. Apart from the chattery pavement and the odd LEO the mountain is great. There were a few rocks also, ok, big freakin football size rocks, a bit father up, but other than that a great ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts