Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great Day. Well organized and the weather was perfect.

Oddly, no Ducati representation in sight. No tent, no banners, no demo bikes, nada. I heard that Ducati couldn't pull something together so they just didn't show. They did buy down the cost of participation to $195, so that was nice.

For those unfamiliar with Fastrack Riders, they run three groups: Level 1, 2, and 3 with 3 being the fastest. Level 1 has newer track riders along with Novice School riders. I chose to run Level 1 since I had never been at a track day at Fontucky. That was a mistake. That group is not only slow (which is okay since there are passing zones aplenty) but their skills and actions are unpredictable. Since these riders are still figuring out how to just survive riding on a track, they're not real focused on lines, braking zones, or setting up for turns. It was difficult to pass safely. Fortunately, you can always request to move to another level!!! Yay!

Anyway, a bunch of very friendly riders. I believe there were four crashes by the time I left around 4pm. Three were in Level 3 (crazy fast!!!) and one in Level 2.

For those who watch Nip/Tuck, John Hensley is the actor who plays Matt. He was there as well. Truly nice guy. Very down to earth and nice to talk to.

I recommend this school. They have their act together. I plan to sign up for the Street of Willow in December. And thanks to Spectrum Motorsports for hosting an area with food, drinks, mechanics, and parts. They are also a bunch of great guys.

Okay. Pics:

Me

Your usual view of me. From behind! [laugh]

Try dragging a knee on this:

Knee meet ground. Woohoo!!!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Jealous!!!

Sounds/looks like it was a blast! I haven't ridden there yet; either need to get the r6 sorted or just throw caution to the wind and get the monster out there. I'd be angry if I made the monster look like the yami though...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Get the r6 sorted, you wouldn't have much fun on the banking on your monster. I absolutely love Fontucky and Fastrack Riders is a great org. Plus, all the amenities of Cal Speedway make you feel like a real racer. Once school is done for good (dec. 9th!!!!) I'm gonna be back out at the track plenty. We should definitely get something going for fontucky maybe late march or something...

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hey, do you know the website for the photographer? mnemonic and I were too busy riding to go find him.

We went out in level 3, both because that was all that was remaining + I used to race. Mnemonic (or whatever MAtt's dmlname is) hasn't a ton of track experience, but he gets around pretty well. The first couple sessions, we were speed bumps, but we got with the program pretty quickly.

My S2R800 really launched off the turns!!! I was stunned at how it would just pull out of 3, 6, and 9. And no matter how hard I hit the last turn, I could only make 130 by the time to dodge the chicane into T1. A guy I raced with in 2001+2 riding on a CBR900RR was stunned at the little S2R's would rocket out of corners. My S2R's "power mods" are only for sound: Arrow full system, which I'm told was the loudest thing out there. Otherwise, I've got brakes and stuff as shown here.

MAtt on his new S2R1000 was able to really keep up with me* by the end of the day and loved how "faster" riders were normally slower than me/us through the turns and then couldn't catch up to make a pass by the end of the smaller straights & had to wait for the banking. 8) Well, of course, the truly fast riders simply flew past, like Robbie Dowie, a lunatic on a MTS1000, and a couple other racer-types.

We had a blast and are going to have to hit Fontucky again. ;D And I'm really loving my S2R800!

;D Chris

*- This is pretty cool since he only has a few track daze and I'veliked raced and stuff and ridden on tracks for 7 years now!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ahh yes, I should chime in here.

Fontucky was simply amazing. I've never closed down a track day like I close down bars. Yesterday I closed down the trackday.

After the first few sessions, I ended up figuring out the shift points, then started making a game of jumping the curbing onto the front straight at 100mph. I referto it as a jump because the curbing was 3 inches high at most, so a Ducati has no problem rocketing over that.

Other items of note:

This is me at turn 12. Just keep hitting "Next" and you will see how this series of 15 or so pictures plays out.
Photos

The guy in front of me was desperately trying to outbrake me to get on the inside of the corner, but luckily this was one of those times, I too was skidding into the corner to slow down. So he blew it then flopped over for 13, and hit the gas causing himself to lowside.

So GP Motorcycles should receive my bank check today, completing the sale of my new S2R1000, the convienently made its way to the track with us. Muahahaha.

Overall I liked the track, I think with more practice it could because really fast like the Big track at Willow, but my first impressions were pretty sweet.

Oh -- if you want to see an S2R make a ******, do this:

Take this link, and open it in your browser - http://www.powersportsphotography.com/BrowseEvents/1006FRA/101606L3/e7907.htm

then replace '7907' on the end of the url with '7906', then hit back and forth in your browser and you will see the new ****** layed down by Chris on his S2R 800. I'm in front of him on the Silver S2R. Woot!

-Matt

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Awesome pics and reviews. Sounds like a blast. Lester are your toes as close to the ground as they look in that fist pic :eek:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It took me a few runs before I figured out how far to hang off to put my knee down. Before that, I was dragging my toes on nearly every turn.

Here's a pic of my left toe slider:

It really was a blast. This was my first time on the track on a bike. A clean track with unlimited visibility really boosted my confidence level.

MetalDuc said:
Awesome pics and reviews. Sounds like a blast. Lester are your toes as close to the ground as they look in that fist pic :eek:

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Ciao Fun said:
It really was a blast. This was my first time on the track on a bike. A clean track with unlimited visibility really boosted my confidence level.
aint that the truth!

thanks for the writeup.. wish i could have been there..

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
bozcorob said:
If you'd have just been workin' ;D Then we wouldn't have to hear this 8)
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=62595.new;topicseen#new
Oh wow. Coolness. Yep... it's all true.

His was a case of unreasonable expectations combined with us being super busy, a technology glitch, and him coming to me with both barrels blasting. He ordered Sunday the 1st, parts shipped outta Cycle Cat to him Tues the 3rd, his card billed Tues the 3rd as well. Zina had a couple days off, so I was slammed and pretty much unresponsive to e-mails all week. I also learned during the week that our website wasn't sending out the auto-generated "thank you for opening your wallet to us" e-mails. (I think that's fixed now) Joe e-mails us on Wednesday the 4th wanting to cancel because he didn't hear anything. I devoted Sunday the 8th to getting caught up with e-mails and replied with an apology for the delay in replying (been saying that a lot lately) and that the product shipped the prior Tuesday and a restocking fee would apply if he returned it to me.

That wouldn't be the case if the product was defective or I often waive restocking fees when customers come up with a great reasons like their bike was stolen, etc, instead of just going off on me.

He returned it and rather than the traditional 15% restocking fee (or the ambiguous "up to 30%" my policies say could happen), I calculated my actual cost of this transaction, which was like $22.48 (about 8%). So his credit was shorted that amount.

I'm a villian, but man, scorching them tires was fun Monday!!! >:D

Yeah, so I didn't notice the thread because no one told me about it and I don't have time to really surf the web, the DML, pick my butt, or eat lunch lately. Feel free to repost as y'all desire. And Cycleworks won't leave the DML over a disgruntled customer, no matter how ugly they are. ;) And oh you all would LOVE to see all the e-mails we've exchanged. My happy pills kicked in and I was Miss Manners through it all. :angel:

OK, now to get some brew on so I can let this go and get some sleep. I gotta get up extra early so I can hit a Dr's appointment and try and get caught up on e-mails again. :p

;D Chris

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Nice job Lester [thumbsup] I've got some extra Titanium toe sliders if you want ;)

I drag mine all the time on Mullholand above the Rock Store [laugh]

Thanks for the pics & I'll have to join you @ the next outing [thumbsup]

You get the gun rack installed in the pickup yet [cheeky]

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Looks like a rockin' good time! [thumbsup]

Lester, got a pic of the rear tire, and how did it hold up?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had 3k miles on my current set of Pilot Powers before Monday. I ran six 20 minute sessions. The tire still looks roadworthy!

I will post a pic when I get home this weekend, but I am certainly impressed with both the performance and the wearability of these Pilot Powers.

Lester

Speeddog said:
Looks like a rockin' good time! [thumbsup]

Lester, got a pic of the rear tire, and how did it hold up?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done Buttonwillow in a car a few times and it is a blast. Magic Mountain (that rise with the blind, descending right turn) is awesome!

Unfortunately, I'm already taking time off around then and it would be diffiult to justify more hookie.

But I am committed to Streets of Willow on 12/1!

Lester

GregP said:
Alright, I'm getting riled up hearing all this chatter 'bout the track! [cheeky]

Buttonwillow 11/6 is looking good! >:D

http://www.thetrackclub.com/

Anyone,. . .

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, I'm doing Streets on 11/6 via Hypercycle.com.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.