Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AN ARMY OF TWO STORMS MT. BALDY. FILM AT ELEVEN...

Y'all missed out. ;D

Mas & I met at the Irwindale Arco at 10:00 am, and promptly swilled down some delicious AM-PM coffee. Well, maybe delicious is an overstatement. It was better than the coffee I had earlier. After we got our body temperatures back up near normal, we headed up San Gabriel Canyon Road. Did I mention that it was a beautiful day?

Kept a moderate pace, as tires and bodies were cold. Road conditions were not that bad, a little dirt here, some water there, a few rocks scattered here and there.
Managed to execute a (legal) pass of a cage just prior to the appearance of a LEO coming the other way. ;)

As we made our way up East Fork Road, the road conditions began to deteriorate. More dirt. Mud. More and Larger rocks. Larger areas of wet pavement. The air temperature was dropping as we gained altitude, and the road being on the shaded side of the mountain didn't help much either.

We turned onto Glendora Mountain Road, and continued up. Road conditions got a little worse. Temperature continued to drop. Concluded that warmer riding gear and more 'dirt-oriented' tires would have been a better plan.

Buttonhooked up onto Glendora Ridge Road, and the road was iimmediately much cleaner. We enjoyed it while we had the chance...Got up into the twisty part, and the road again went bad. The ugliness shown below is indeed a mudslide. Hmmm...add a heavier flywheel to the list.

Made it over the top, and down the other side to Mt. Baldy Village. Greeted by a closed gate on the road. Well, it just looked closed, but it wasn't locked. Pushed it open, and cruised up to the Lodge.

Seems the main road was closed yesterday, and the Lodge was open all day with no customers. So it was 'closed' today, until the main road was to be opened in the afternoon. The kind folks running the place were good enough to have coffee for the few locals who wandered in, as well as us flatlanders...moral of this substory, I think: We should be nice and tip generously where we stop, as it can help in the future.
Oh yeah, they had a really nice fire going too......
Suitably rewarmed, we set off back down the hill. It was a little less spooky, as we had a good idea of what the road was going to be.
On the way up, we had crossed several areas of water on the road. The one shown in the pic below felt a little funny. We looped back, closer inspection revealed that it was ice.

Rode across 15-20 feet of icy pavement, and the Duc just squirmed a tiny bit. I would have had to walk real careful to get across it. Mas suspected that the fine coating of sand and dirt on our tires made it OK. Maybe the intermittent exposed pavement was the key. Any of you cold-weather experienced riders know how that works?

The run down the twisty part of Glendora Ridge Road was a combination of clean and dirty sections. Fun, and squirrely.

This area seems to be a little beyond a 'soft shoulder':

I imagine this may turn into a big problem if we get more rain soon. :(

All in all, a fun, cold and challenging ride.

·
Registered
849 Posts
An army of two storms Latigo...

Can you spell dirty? I had four small slides, three big ones, and instinctively put my foot down, dirttrack-style, twice. The weather was awesome but I was ill-prepared, didn't eat enough and suffered a bad case of hypo-glycemia. Stopped at the Rock Store for ridiculously bad burgers and worse coffee. Got really cold on the way home.

Didn't feel comfortable on the Duc after riding the Yammie. Harsh suspension and unpredictable handling. Part-throttle corners are no fun, you have to toss it and hammer it to feel the bike. Especially after riding Kevin's and Nick's bikes I feel a Ducati doesn't have to handle completely uncivilized.

A fun year of tinkering lies ahead... ;D

-R.

R

·
0 Posts
Did Lissy go with?
Man it was cold up here.....
Nick great pic's......good report..glad to hear ya got some better joe.....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Two words - Winter Gloves! That's the first thing on my shopping list for the new year for sure.

The road was dusty, wet, icy, rocky, leafy, but in most areas dry. It was my first time in these mountains and although the conditions could have been better, I'd love to do the same run again. Pretty sure I won't forget this ride for quite some time. It was a unique experience.

Thanks Nick for leading the way.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Did Lissy go with?
No Kevin, I went with my buddy Christian. I contemplated stopping by and fixing your bike for you so we could ride this weekend (;) ), but since I had Christian with me decided that it would be inappropriate to show up on your step uninvited.

Nice pics, Nick. Malibu wasn't nearly as bad, and I agree with your observations on tipping. Though the food was bad the service at the Rock Store yesterday was especially good (we were the only customers) so I tipped well. The surprised smile on the cashier's face (no waitress) and her warm thank-you indicated that she hadn't expected a tip from us at all. Weird. She'll remember me for sure though :D

-R.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bloody well done gentlemen! Ya'll get props from me for going out in that kind of cold for "a ride". In jeans even- golly. The picture of the washout next to the road made my gonads recede.

I just checked the weather here and it's 35 outside! In San Diego! Man, I didn't come to socal for this cr*p. :mad: Guess I'll stay home today and play MotoGP or something. I'm a wuss.

BTW, I keep looking at that KTM Adventure and then think about the kind of ride you guys did. That makes me smile. I get the same feeling looking at a map and all the dirt roads going everywhere; I actually jump up and down a little bit. I might have to pick one up after cruise next year.

Again, good onya' fellas.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Dang that looked like fun Nick. I wish I could have made it. My Minnesota riding experience may have come in handy for that ice. Instead I went upi th Guadalupe for the SoCal LD Riers lunch. Mmmm Good eats :)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
------- Instead I went upi th Guadalupe for the SoCal LD Riers lunch. ----------
Hey, ducman, I lost my Johnny Quest decoder ring. Can you elaborate?

S

·
0 Posts
Hey guys, looks like a great ride! We saw some similar conditions on our ride this weekend. Om HWY 1 we had to actually stop for a rock slide, and time our departure accordingly. There was a friendly man on the side of the road waving his arms in the air crazyily trying to get our attention. We got it. We stopped and watched the cliff above fall onto the road in front of us. I guess the day of rain, plus gravity got the best of the hillside! Then on J1 off HWY 25 there was lots of ice on the roads in the shade of the hills. Not to mention at least two cows in the middle of the road.

About gear...I just got a $50 used Gerbing jacket..full electric heated jacket, sleaves and all. I have the Monster rigged for hooking it up, but the Beemer comes with an outlet. I was TOASTY the whole time! Sounds like you guys do my kind of riding. I hope we can all meet up sometime! Look for my report on SFBMHA soon.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hey, ducman, I lost my Johnny Quest decoder ring. Can you elaborate?
My bad that should read SoCal Long Distance Riders. Just a bunch Ive done IronButt type stuff with in the past. Yes Im one of those.Also that was yesterday not Friday. I had to work then :(

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sarah. Sounds like a good time was had by all. :eek:

Forgot to mention that I'm ordering a Gerbing vest tomorrow.
I've had it with freezing my @$$ off. If it's not raining, I want to be able to ride.

Ducman, now I understand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts