Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang, as i posted about before, i'm running a cyclecat reverse shift lever mounted directly on the gearchange spline. i've also relocated the rear brake master cylinder to the engine case using parts off a 996 (same assembly actually for the supersports and ST's).
for rearsets, i've been running stock units off an ST. they're further back than stock which gives foot clearance for the reverse shifter and brake lever, but not much higher than stock (if at all). this being the case, i'm considering working with a local buddy to manufactur a custom set.
but before delving into that project, i figured i'd experiment some more with readily available parts.
got a pair of passenger pegs off a pre '99 supersport to try fitting up. no accomodations for heel guards but that's easily remedied with a tap & die set. the cast-in muffler mounts can easily enough be ground off. i tried sitting on the bike with them installed and the position FEELS pretty nice, but will have to report again after a road test. might be a bit too much. the pic shows the peg position for each. wish i had a stock setup to bolt on to superimpose as well, but alas... mine are loooong gone:

just thought i'd post for anybody who may be considering a similar change. i think the best position would be pegs that were as far back as the ST's, but as high as the SS's. hrm...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've been thinking of trying some of the ST4 pegs, as it seems like further back (compared to stock) would be nice. Narrower would be nice too, there's lots of wasted space between the stock peg mounts and the swingarm.
Problem is, I really want lower as well, to give less bend to my knees. I figure narrower and lower won't lose me any cornering clearance.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
nick, when i sort things out on my bike (should be able to within a month or two), i'll send you the st bits if you'd like to try 'em out. with how much further back they mount, you may not feel the need to go much lower.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Strati,
Thanks for the offer! :)

I'm pretty sure of the answer, but the ST4 rearsets don't have a provision for the brake pedal & M/C, do they? I don't have the engine-mounted M/C hardware.

It would be nice to just try 'em on in my garage, and see how they feel tho.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
that's correct. you'd need to get an assembly off a superbike, st or ss. i did find that the stock brake line reaches just fine which is nice. just need the mounting bracket, lever, and m/c.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Is the M/C actually different? I haven't looked closely, but my at my last casual inspection of an ST, it looked like the same part... ???

Maybe I can just get the mounting bracket and lever?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
hey strai, still interested in that 999 engine that i have. its been sitting in my garage, untouched. just do not have time like u guys. I guess with weather out here, I tend to ride more. pretty soon, you;'ll have a 999 at the rate you are going lol

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Is the M/C actually different? I haven't looked closely, but my at my last casual inspection of an ST, it looked like the same part... ???

Maybe I can just get the mounting bracket and lever?
dunno actually. mine was toast so i happenned upon a "complete kit" for my needs. but you could probably use the same unit just oriented appropriately. i didn't give it a 2nd thought cuz they go pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Are items such as rearsets interchangable between an '03 800 engine and an '01 S4 engine? I'm thinking about buying new pegs, but might hold off if they're not interchangable...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Strati,

I sent you a PM earlier today about this and then stumbled across this thread. Nick -- if you decide you don't want/need the ST4 bits, I'd be happy to take them. I've been scouring ebay and salvage yards and haven't had much luck finding st2/4 rearsets (until now, I'm bidding on a set, but I suspect the reserve is a bit high). I've been waiting for the Cheetah basic rearset, but spring is here and I don't think I can wait any longer....

thanks guys,
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
i think nick's more interested in them in terms of feeling them out. i'd be happy to sell 'em if i find the SS pegs suit my needs and i'll be happy to sell 'em cheap.
nick, if that's what you were interested in them for, cool. otherwise, you guys can chat about who gets dibs ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks, Strati. Let me know, Nick.

ITMT, where'd you get the low mount exhaust hanger, Strati?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Mike,

If you're ready to throw coin at 'em, you're in line ahead of me. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts