Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between travel (for work) and the colder weather, I've been off my 620 for a couple of months. As a new rider (just started in May), I wanted to at least get a few rides in over the winter. Fortunately, last sunday was pretty warm so I went out for a ride.

I'm not very aggressive since I'm still learning the ropes. That said, I felt pretty comfortable despite my short hiatus. There was one nagging feeling that I couldn't shake this last ride. It's kinda hard to describe, so bear with me ...

Essentially, I kept having the *feeling* that the rear wheel was trying to swing out - during regular acceleration in a straight line. I don't know why, but I felt very disconnected from the rear of the bike - it kept *feeling* like it was going to fishtail out. I say *feeling* because it didn't slide out so it could have just been my imagination.

I was NOT twisting the throttle hard, it was just standard acceleration. The road surface was dry and clear. The strangest thing was that I was going in a straight line.

It was almost like my front tire wasn't going fast enough for the rear ...

When I got home I double checked my tire pressure, but that seemed fine. Am I nuts? Any advice is appreciated ...

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I had that same thing a few months ago. Kept stopping to check the tire, did a visual inspection of the tire alignment. Couldn't figure it out at all.

After 350 miles and a few hours of being home I went back out and checked everything again and couldn't find anything. BUT then on a whim I checked the shock and the . . . my god my brain just went blank . . . thingies you crank on to make adjustments had worked themselves loose and my preload was wrong.

You might check that. HOWEVER, I have just had off days when things haven't felt right and there was no mechanical reason for it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'd check your adjustor plates and make sure they are even and check the torque on you axel nuts as a 1st step.

Get the bike on a stand, and with a good strong light that you can move - like bright ass flashlight, shing it cross the surface of the tire while you rotate the wheel. Look for any warpage, flat spots or other possible imperfections/damage to the tire.

Also, look a where the tire mounts to the rim for anything that doesn't look 'right'

While back there, have a good look at your chain. Looking for rust, kinks or other things that would run oddly. And check the sprocket nuts.

Byond those things, you might need to have it to a shop.

*Oh, you might ask a mod to move this over to the Tech section. It might get more notice from the big brain Gurus there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.