Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I dont ususally need to post on here, there is enough to offer just by doing a search so thanks for all the helpfull posts!

Anyway, i recently changed my rear tire. After it was all buttoned up i took it for a ride. MMM fresh pilot powers make me feel so happy. So i notice there is a slight rubbing noise when i let the clutch out, and a bit of handlebar vibration, almost more like something is resonating. So i thought it might have been something with my brakes, or my axle was on too tight. So i loostened my axle, which was on WAY too tight i might add. Then i take off my pads to look at them, looks like the inside pad is just starting to hit metal. Great. So i make a note that i need rear pads very soon, and put the caliper back together and go for a test ride.

Son of a.....

So now when i compress my rear brake, it sounds like it clamps onto the rotor and instead of the pads decompressing it sounds like they just stay on the rotor. It makes a REALLY loud skimming sound like the pad is just rubbing on the rotor and not coming off when the caliper pin decompresses.

I have no idea what is going on and its really pissing me off. :(

Most posts similar to this one are about squealing when the brakes are being compressed on the rotor. Usually because of a warped rotor, glazed pads, dust etc. This is just weird because it happens when my foot is completely off the brake.

Please anyone? Ideas?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have no idea if this will help but I figured I would post it anyway. Yesterday when I picked up my bike from getting the 12K service I was told that I needed a new rear tire, I told him that I was going to replace it soon myself and he told me to be carefull with a spacer that is in there. Said it very easy to get it the wrong way and it can do major damage and he had a bike in right now that was done wrong and messed up the swingarm? Don't know if this helped just something to think about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've not had the rear wheel off yet but plan to here in a month or so. So I'll be curious to know what this is.

Is there any chance it could be the rear tire being cocked/crooked? I think of it because of the rubbing noise, brake noise (like its not releasing all the way) and the overtighening. Again, maybe there's something in there that prevents this that I'm unaware of, not having performed work on this section of my Monster.

·
Banned
897 Posts
The pads do stay in contact with the rotor when you release the pedal. There's no pressure on them but there is nothing to make them retract. Does the wheel turn freely with no pedal? Start with the obvious, if you're down to metal, replace the pads before you decide you have some other problem.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Check the spacer.

There is a spacer that is conical shaped, one side goes agaist the bearing, the other against the swingarm. If it is in backwards, it will slightly change your wheel spacing, and also dig into your swignarm.

mitt

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i had a problem for awhile where the rear brake would emit a "wookie howl" when i braked. this horrible, groaning, squeeling noise...

however, it was when i braked. not otherwise.

but, for what it's worth, the problem was that the rear wheel was slightly misaligned, and the pads and rotors were meeting up badly.

put the bike up on a stand, and see if the rear wheel turns freely. if not, unbolt everything, and mess with your alignment.

no guarantees, but it's what i'd do.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Since I changed my tyres to Michelin Pilot Roads, I was aware of a disagreeble noise on some road surfaces. A noise I could "tune" in and oiut by weaving the bike.

I have put it down to the tyre pattern because I have checked every other likely cause.. The pattern runs laterally across the tyre and the road unlike a lot of other tyres. My last tyres had a "slick" centere section.

I cant wait to replace them. :'(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts