Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 EVO's rear rim nut won't budge. I have the correct socket. Using a break over bar doesn't work. I tried adding a 3' fork tube for greater leverage. Still would not break loose. The guy that use to work on the bike used a 4' metal pipe and that worked. In most cases I get my tires at Ducati of Indy. With all the covid crap their service is swamped. Have any of you had this issue?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean by “ rim nut “ . Please explain.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For me it is always a bitch to remove that nut - it is torqued to 230Nm as per the manual. I have never tried an impact wrench on it, maybe I should.
I usually have to sit on the bike and apply all my weight and both brakes while my husband does the wrench maneuvering and puts all his weight on it. We do add a long tube on top of the wrench to increase leverage and eventually we get it but every time I know I'm going to have to remove the wheel I curse internally.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at impact wrenches. $150 was the cheapest one. I don't know if my air compressor is strong enough to get the nut off. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
943 Posts
A real long lever usually works as well as an impact wrench and is much cheaper.
Buy a good breaker bar and a piece of pipe that will fit over it. No limit to the length you can use as long as the breaker bar is good quality, or guaranteed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Does your compressor put out 100psi ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The long pipe was my original game plan. Yes my compressor does put out 100psi. I was curious if this was a common problem. looks like it is. Nice to know I'm not alone with this issue. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts