Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just aquired a nice set of wheels for my m750 including a 5.5" rear rim. I noticed that the stock tire size for that rear rim is a 180 but saw a monster on here with a 190. What are the pros and cons of going with either size?? Also my 750 has the steel swingarm. Will there be any limitations on tire size due to that?? Thanks in advance!!!

-Nick

·
Registered
40 Posts
The larger the tyre, the slower the steering. On my S4 that came with a 180 I replaced it straight away with 170 to quicken the steering. On my old M750 it didn't need anything larger than the standard size (I think it was a 160).

Good luck with.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am running the 190 on my 900. Slow steering is not an issue on the Monster. I am sure that I gave up some turn-in, but really do not notice it in the twisties around here.

Can't get rid of the last 1/4" of chicken strips though, maybe when it gets a little warmer and deeper into the season.

To be honest though, I will probably go with a 180 when this one wears out.

I have no issues with it rubbing or hitting any part of the bike.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I read about this in an article on motorcycle.com in regards to the 190 used on the 998. They said it was Ducatis impression of a go fast look. From what I've read..the 180 is what you'd want to go with. 190 is only for looks. I don't imagine most of our monsters would ever need the extra tire to put down the HP.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think the 190 "looks" very nice and I can't image it would have all that much effect on turning performance in everyday riding/twisties. Couldn't you just reset the rear ride height to compensate?
Dion

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think since I have clip-ons on the bike and I raised the fork tubes up in the clamps the 190 will be just fine.. A buddy of mine has a speed triple with a 190 and i drool everytime I ride behind it

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you replaced a 180 with a 190 chances are you will never get rid of that chicken strip (unless you plan to do a track day or are totally insane). The sides of the tire get pulled in more with the narrow rim or smaller than recommend rim width, so it would require harder lean angles but with a smaller contact patch.

Most of the guys I know switch to a 180 even if the bike came with a 190 or could fit a 190. D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Track day will be this Sunday.

I kind of figured that. Not that I am chicken, just don't want to push it that hard in on the open road. Too many variables.

·
Registered
346 Posts
On my old M750 it didn't need anything larger than the standard size (I think it was a 160).
I have tried a 170 on my 99 M750 (stock rims) and it didn't behave very well. I prefer a 160 (standard size) on my M750. Best manipulation... and if you fit a Pirelli or a Dunlop tire then you will have a wider look as well without losing the feel (both Pirelli and Dunlop are a little bit wider than other brands, for the same size).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2001 900 S has 170 stock, which I plan on replacing soon w/ another 170. Did some 900's come stock w/ a 180???

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am rolling on a 180 rear....devoid of chicken strips....how do I get rid of them on the front tire?.....I do scrape metal once in a while but the front still has nipples

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am running a Dunlop 170 on the rear and it looks just as wide as a 180 and handles real well..... Kept me up in a skid downhill over sand.

I'll stick with the Dunlops! Saved me a front fender!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have an 00 M750, a Buell S1W..and an R1....and I can tell you this...there are alot of people that say they can feel the difference between a 170, 180, and 190 tire...but in my opinion it is the profile of the tire and not cross sectin they are feeling....my M750 is stock....my Buell I run D204's....the R1 I run whatever they have in stock...but I feel the most difference when I go from a Dunlop 208 to a BT-010....same size.....alot of people say they feel the smaller tire turns in faster..but on the street I do not feel you will tell the difference............On the open bikes I run WIDE rear tires cuz they look cool......on the R1 I stay with the factory size...cuz hell its a 190 for crying out loud....it looks good and I feel confidenet running it

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 2001 900 S has 170 stock, which I plan on replacing soon w/ another 170.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am running a Dunlop 170 on the rear and it looks just as wide as a 180 and handles real well..... Kept me up in a skid downhill over sand.

I'll stick with the Dunlops!

·
Registered
26 Posts
i just was gonna ask everyone about this. we are getting the 620ie ready. the rear comes with a 46 tooth sprocket. no one has a 49 in stock, so i am gonna keep it rear stock and go with a 14 tooth for the front.it needs a little pep.now regarding the rear tire, the 03 comes with a stock 160 rear but my dealer mounted a dunlop 180 for the rear. is that too much? or should keep the rear at 170? how much will i lose with the 180. the marvic penta2's look very nice ;D help me out here ??? i wish aftermarket was easy but hey....

·
Registered
346 Posts
.... comes with a stock 160 rear but my dealer mounted a dunlop 180 for the rear. is that too much? or should keep the rear at 170? how much will i lose with the 180. ....
I'd say: 160, maybe 170. Personally, I prefer the 160 (stock) on my Monster. 170 gave me the feeling the bike handles less well... Note: a Pirelli or a Dunlop are in fact wider by default. A Dunlop is 1/3 inch (1 cm) wider than for example a Michelin of the same size. Anyway, you got to decide for yourself, maybe you like the 180 better... :-/

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is your wife's bike right? Is she gonna be ripping up the twisties and trying to drag her pegs and riding like a banshee?? I think based on your earlier posts about her friend that she will not and the size of the tire won't matter as far as turn in or handling and it comes down to what you like the looks of. Yes, I am talking poser factor. Because I can, I am one and am running a 190 on the rear of my 900. I am going with a 180 next time though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
heres what were gonna try,, ill keep the 180 tire we are gonna run a 14t sprocket up front and a 44t in the rear i hope to achieve the same ratio ??? ill let you know asap when its done. im really worried about the 180 though, making the bike turn slow. if i dont like it ill buy a 170 wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts