1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the exact same stand on the wife's 620 right now. It may be a different brand but is exactly the same. It is super stable and strong. Go for it. I might be able to take some pics later for you.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
swerdna said:
I've been using a Pit Bull rearstand. I love it. It's the bee's knees.
+1

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
swerdna said:
I've been using a Pit Bull rearstand. I love it. It's the bee's knees.
I've got the Cycle Cat rear stand since I'm generally by myself when I work on the bike and wanted something that was going to be really stable and easy for me to use alone. It's super pricey though, so the Pitbull would probably be the best choice for someone on a tighter budget.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Did you decide against the first stand you looked at?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pip said:
Did you decide against the first stand you looked at?
I suppose I have gone against it simply because if these set of Handy's fit (which I think it would w/ the adjustable pads for rear and the front should work w/ my stock 05 M620) then $88 for this set of Handy's would work out great.

I've read that Handy's isn't the BEST, but for someone who's going to use for propping the bike up for winter and doing the occasional oil change, chain cleaning, etc. I don't need anything fancy... plus, would save it for other mods :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Understood. Good plan. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I recently got one of these from a fellow on my local craigslist: http://www.motoviniati.com/lockhart-phillips-adjustable-swingarm-stand-p-28826.html. I paid about half of the cost of a new one, taking into consideration what shipping would be. I swear, he must have kept a towel under the stand because there are no scratches on it anywhere. I'm pretty stoked.

If you're on a budget, I just saw this: http://www.svrider.com/tips/pipestand/SwingarmStand.htm. It's kinda cheesy, but does the job for under $20.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I have an '05 M1000s and I was just thinking about purchasing a stand too. Is there an issue with the ones from the DML store besides the price? I couldn't pick one mainly because I never used one before, and don't know what the real difference is. LOL

Front/Rear Roller Set- $179.90
Front/Rear Spool Set- $186.90
Front/Rear Combination (roller/spool) Set- $189.90

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
the only stand I've used was the cyclecat... not mine, but it was in the shop I was at...

yes, it's pricey. but the fact that it was totally designed to pick the bike up off the kickstand and put it back as such was, well, impressive.

having a spare hand around would help lean me toward a pit bull, since it's the most recommended one here, but since I tend to work on my own, that CC stand looks like a fine deal

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
teddy037 said:
the only stand I've used was the cyclecat... not mine, but it was in the shop I was at...

yes, it's pricey. but the fact that it was totally designed to pick the bike up off the kickstand and put it back as such was, well, impressive.

having a spare hand around would help lean me toward a pit bull, since it's the most recommended one here, but since I tend to work on my own, that CC stand looks like a fine deal
You mean these?
http://www.cyclecat.com/UCS01-01.htm
http://www.cyclecat.com/UCS02-01.htm

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a cheapo and got the handy's for under $100... they work fine for me.

But just FYI, I've only used the stands for bike 'storage'... I haven't done much work on the bike while on the stands, so I'm not sure how stable it would be if ur wrenching away on the thing.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
superjohn said:
I've got the Cycle Cat rear stand since I'm generally by myself when I work on the bike and wanted something that was going to be really stable and easy for me to use alone. It's super pricey though, so the Pitbull would probably be the best choice for someone on a tighter budget.
The pit bull has been rock solid for me (multiple oil changes, chain maintenance and a valve check) and is easy to get the bike up by myself.

David B.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i picked up a used woodcraft, along with some other monster parts from a guy who used to own the same model bike as me.

it works pretty well, but does require me to track down a chump to help me put the bike up for service.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
teddy037 said:

Putting it back, it's pretty safe. Lifting it up, I wouldn't trust it to do it from the sidestand. I bought it just because I try to work on it myself only. It's safer if you stand to left side of bike, lift up the bike a lil bit maybe a inch or so, then press down on it to left the bike up. If you try to lift up the cycle by the side stand, it first tilts the bike to the left even more and there's a 50/50% of dropping it [thumbsup]

Either way, I consider the $200 I spent on it well worth it. Takes me about 5 seconds max to prop up the bike and few seconds more to lower the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts