Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly collecting bits and pieces to have a spare rear wheel for track days and I'm looking at whether to get a rotor for it or just switch the one over from my "street" wheel.

I've noticed that aftermarket bolts for the rear rotor are pricey. Is there anything special about them?

Will a button head type capscrew or a shoulder headed bolt from the hardware store work?

TIA

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the older Monsters, but my $.02...

If you have clearance for a regular socket head cap screw (Allen), the hex is bigger and deeper than the button heads..

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I don't think that there's anything special about the rotor bolts, just make sure that they are a quality grade of metric bolt, which many hardware stores DO NOT carry. (don't use those black metric bolts from Home Depot)

Also, my aftermarket rotor was a bit thicker than my OEM rotor and even the stock socket head bolts would rub the brake hanger, so I had to go with button heads. The small advantage of going with something like aftermarket Ti bolts would be a small reduction in unsprung and rotating weight.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
high grade isn't really required for rotor bolts. the 6 screws provide tension for a wide surface area. friction across this surface area is what keeps the rotor from turning when the brakes are clamped.

when using button head screws, take in the rotor with you to the store. you may find that the heads of the bolts do not fit in the counterbore where they are supposed to rest.

i often use stainless screws, but with M8 button head, either you torque to 18 ft-lb and the head gets deformed and the screw becomes single use, or you torque to 16 ft-lb and the head survives. also, the stainless button head screws i often get have to be turned down on the lathe to fit into the rotor's counterbores.

:) chris

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
i often use stainless screws, but with M8 button head, either you torque to 18 ft-lb and the head gets deformed and the screw becomes single use, or you torque to 16 ft-lb and the head survives. also, the stainless button head screws i often get have to be turned down on the lathe to fit into the rotor's counterbores.

:) chris
On newer Monsters, the speedo pick-up uses the rear rotor cap-screws as triggers, so SS fasteners should not be used (ask me how I know

1 - 6 of 6 Posts