Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gearheads,

Question: What is the best way to adjust rear rideheight on a 695. I want it higher in the back.

I looked at the DucatiSuite help link, but it is for a different bike. I was wondering if anyone had any experience yet with adjustments on the 695.

Please point me in the right direction guys....

Thanks & Cheers,
Coffeebean....

·
Registered
170 Posts
last time i looked at the rear end of my 695 the ride height rod wasn't adjustable, doesn't mean it can't be replaced with one though...

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
You may want to ask this question in the Tech board.

BTW, doesn't 695 have adjustable rear shocks pre-load?

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
stock height setting rods aren't adjustable in stock form.

they can easily be replaced with affordable adjustable pieces. you may want to do a search and take into consideration the effects this will cause on your handling.

Q

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stik said:
You may want to ask this question in the Tech board.

BTW, doesn't 695 have adjustable rear shocks pre-load?
yes it does, it's got 30 clicks of dampening adjustment and i don't know how many inches of pre-load. the one on mine is a sachs unit

·
Registered
170 Posts
qfactor said:
stock height setting rods aren't adjustable in stock form.

they can easily be replaced with affordable adjustable pieces. you may want to do a search and take into consideration the effects this will cause on your handling.

Q
by raising the rear end doesn't that cause the front end to be a little more sensitive? I thought i read that on another thread somewhere... i'll have to use the search and find out :p

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
router.exe said:
yes it does, it's got 30 clicks of dampening adjustment and i don't know how many inches of pre-load. the one on mine is a sachs unit
Damping, damping, damping.

No sponges involved here. ;)
A superbike or one from a Monster with an adjustable unit will bolt straight on.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Ferracci makes a bolt on ride height adjuster. That will get you the results you desire. And yes, raising the back will quicken up the steering.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good comments guys, helps out a ton! I guess I am wondering before I plunge into the guesswork this week:

30 clicks of dampening adjustment and some preload?

wouldn't dampening adjustment just make the shock stiffer?

if I were to adjust the preload, would that make a slightly noticeable height difference?

thanks in advance...this helps tremendously...

I will also repost this in Tech....

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
The stock pre-load adjustment may affect ride height, but that is secondary to its intention. Pre-load should be set for your weight, not to increase ride height.

Your best bet is to get a 749/999 adjustable "dog-bone" from another DML'er or fleaBay. I got one for like $10.00 + shipping. Added about 1 inch of height, and I really like the way she handles now. Most will agree that the Monster can use a little forward wright bias, and that's what raising the rear will accomplish. The only thing is that you may have to mod your kick-stand to compensate if you add a lot of height.

Good luck. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rule62 said:
The stock pre-load adjustment may affect ride height, but that is secondary to its intention. Pre-load should be set for your weight, not to increase ride height.

Your best bet is to get a 749/999 adjustable "dog-bone" from another DML'er or fleaBay. I got one for like $10.00 + shipping. Added about 1 inch of height, and I really like the way she handles now. Most will agree that the Monster can use a little forward wright bias, and that's what raising the rear will accomplish. The only thing is that you may have to mod your kick-stand to compensate if you add a lot of height.

Good luck. [thumbsup]
rule62,
Thanks for the very informative reply... I never considered a "dog-bone". I will have to look this up and understand how it would fit onto a 695. I really look forward to improved handling as well....

cheers,
CoffeeBean... ;)

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
The bike in that thread has the "older" style rear suspension. You're 695 has the newer one. If you do a search on "ride height adjuster" you'll find some great info (even a thread on how to build your own). If you look at your rear shock, there is a bar that runs next to it. It mounts to the same bolt as the shock at the bottom, and at the top it mounts to a piece of suspension linkage that the shock mounts to. That bar IS the dog-bone. The 695 dog-bone is NOT adjustable (just like the stocker on my 620). You will need to replace it with an adjustable one. I found one on fleaBay for like 10 or 20 bucks. You'll want one from a higher model Monster or from a **9 series sbk. It's easier to adjust before you put it on the bike. About 1/4 inch longer dog-bone = about 1 inch increase of ride height (due to the way the linkage works).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, thats my final question.... i will go with a new "dog bone" then...

thanks a ton for that last detailed response. it helped out tremendously.

cheers,
CoffeeBean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts