Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked everywhere for a chopped rear fender (I don't want to carve on the stock one) Help please!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The "hugger" is the plastic piece attached to the swingarm that is about half an inch from the rear tire. The fender is the part attached to the rear frame of the bike. Which one do you want to modify?

I took a dremel to my rear hugger and shortedned it about three inches, after seeing what someone else had done. I probably should have cut it a bit more. I found the courage to cut it after I ran over something and it took a big chunk out of the trailing edge of it.

Here's a photo of the modified one and a stock one:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
If you could be kind enough to allow me to piggy back on the initial question. I just got a m900 that has no rear fender (it does have a hugger) The bike is in Florida at my parents home. I am in WA and have only seen the bike in pictures. I am told that there is no bracket for the license plate or rear turn signals. I would appreciate any info on what I need to get or "rig" to get the license plate on the bike and also what turn signals you would recommend. Also, is there a requirement to have a light on the license plate. If yes, then what is the best way of doing this? thank yuo for your time!

Jorge

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Here's the piggybacked answer: ;)

Read the FAQ about chopping the tail: http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_tailchop.html. It's fairly easy to make your own bracket out of a sheet of aluminum. I cut a hole in the bottom of the tail light and stuck a piece of clear plastic in there to serve as the license plate light. I like the look of attaching the original turn signals directly to the frame, but I wouldn't recommend it, since any little mistake can be very difficult to fix. If I were doing it again, I would get a one inch wide sheet of 1/8" aluminum and make a turn signal bracket to position them about half an inch below where I put them on my bike.

Here is the finished tail:

If you look at this photo (right before drilling the holes for the signals), you'll see that the frame was cut a little too short to leave room to properly mount the signals. I was just looking at Juan's bike (yellow 620), that has about half an inch more tube left. He drilled the frame for his signals and did a much better job of it than I did.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
thanks for the info. The bottom pic looks just like mine except for the lic plate mount. But it sounds like the best option is to fabricate a holder and maybe add a couple of wings to attach the signals? I dont have the stock signals so I have been scanning Ebay and also trying to find other types of signals that would look good. The front signals are not the stock; they look very small (like cones) so to keep things uniformed I will try to match those. thanks

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The stock signals for the older Monsters are available at Harley dealers for $5.00 each, since they were used on the early Buell models. That's where I got my extra signals from.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it took so long for me to answer! It's the swingarm hugger. I'll take your advice and cut on it. The back end sure does look sweet without it attatched but gets dirty in a hurry!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts