Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure it has been discussed before but... does anyone have any input on either a smaller/shorter rear hugger or running without one? Is there a color-keyed version anywhere?? Thanks in advance!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have a spare. so i cut mine so short it just has enough meat to support the chain guard. been that way all season, no problems. i think it looks sharp that way.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I cut mine a few inches shorter after I ran over something that took a big chunk out of it. I think I was inspired by how Thomas Alberti had cut down his. I prefer having some protection from getting gunk all over the shock and spring.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will trim it down, it would be nice to see more of the tire. I agree with you Scott, I dont want to leave the spring and shock unprotected. What is the best way to trim it w/o a dremel??

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
draw a line where you want to cut it, the curve of the hugger shuold allow you to use a hack saw. maybe scor along the line first before yoou cut all the way throu. if you find a spot where you can't finish the cut with the hacksaw, try a razor knife where previously scored with your hacksaw. than file, or sand the ruff edges.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
What is the best way to trim it w/o a dremel??
Some sort of saw? A really sharp knife?

If you're really patient, you could draw a line on it where you want to cut, then run a really sharp knife or a single edged razor blade around the line. Then trace over it again 40 or 50 times, applying a bit more pressure each time. Eventually you'll cut through the plastic, and if you've been careful, you'll have a nice smooth edge.

I used sand paper to smooth out my edge once it was cut.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys! Sounds like I have a project for this weekend

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i hacked my airbox lid (same material as the plastic rear hugger), i used a dremel with a cut-off wheel. it did more melting than cutting and was a real messy result. i dunno... some people say they've had good results but i got fed up. i wound up using a jigsaw and was surprised by how clean and smooth a cut it resulted in. sand smooth as scott mentioned and you're good to go.

for a CARBON hugger, i'd say use a dremel. taking a jigsaw to carbon's prolly a real bad idea. also remember if you're cutting carbon to wear a mask. the dust is bad for you. correction... the dust is _BAD_ for you.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I splurged and bought a Dremel and trimmed the hugger, what a difference! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ditto above. No hugger, no problem
dion

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used a jig saw to cut my front fender for the main cut, cleaned up with a razor blade & a file. Should work the same for the hugger. First thing I did was to put down some masking tape and drew my cut. Cut with the jig maybe 1/4 in from line then took off remaining with a nice & sharp razor blade. I could have done a better job - but the process seems to be valid.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I splurged and bought a Dremel and trimmed the hugger, what a difference! Thanks for the help guys!
any pics saint?
any one else with pics?...i'm curious.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just trimmed down my rear hugger last night (I was inspired by this thread!) I used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder, a file, and some fine sand paper for the job and it came out looking really nice. I also masked with tape, then cut with a cutoff wheel on the grinder. I then switched a grinding wheel to get the shape and bevel perfect, used the file for the tight spots, and sand paper for a smooth finish. The grinder worked great - very fast and no melting problems. The whole job took me about half an hour. I think tonight I might revise the shape a little (If only because that grinder is so fun to use!). Digi camera is coming soon, so maybe I can get some pics.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I didn't spend much time on this at all. Eyeballed a pencil line on the hugger-pencil is nice cause it's shiny and easy to see but comes off easy leaving no marks. Cut with a jigsaw using a multiblade-small teeth. Sanded for a second or two with a palm sander. Longest part was plugging in the extension cord! I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts