Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an idea of how I can jack my rear wheel off the ground and adjust the ride height by myself?

I have an 01' 900Sie. I have a rear pitbull stand, but that's not going to do any good for this procedure. Thought about making a front wheel support out of 2x4 and then jack the rear up with a car jack.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I pop the plugs out of the hollow swingarm pivot, put a steel rod through there and support the rod on jack stands.
I've found that my Pitbull rear stand can be used to lift the bike up high enough to get the jack stands under the rod.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
A scissor jack from just about any recent car can be used on top of the rear tire to raise the frame as needed. That's how I would do it.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott R. Nelson said:
A scissor jack from just about any recent car can be used on top of the rear tire to raise the frame as needed. That's how I would do it.
That's a good idea as well, but wouldn't there be a chance that the frame will be bent/damaged in the process?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Dynamic213 said:
That's a good idea as well, but wouldn't there be a chance that the frame will be bent/damaged in the process?
Only if you're stupid enough to crank the jack hard with the rear suspension still in place.

You start off by putting the jack in there and adjusting it up until it just starts to go firm. Then you disconnect the rear shock and make your adjustment. The jack holds things where they were before you undid the shock. Now when you want to put the shock back on, you jack it up until everything matches and hook it all back up. Then release the jack and pull it out of there.

The same thing could be done using a strong person to lift the back, but they probably aren't going to want to keep holding up the back of your bike while you fiddle around with the adjustments.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I've done the steel rod through the cases thing and I used 3/8" stock from home depot. I think it was labeled "hot rolled" or somesuch. Make sure it's not mild steel because it'll just bend. DAMHIK 8)

--Jeff

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: rear height adjustment-how and how much?

So, jack bike up with the various methods discussed, then loosen top OR bottom bolt on my adjustable rod (S4)? Do I lengthen rod equally at both ends or just the easier end, access-wise--and by about how much?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Dynamic213 said:
Great idea! What diameter and length rod did you use?
I think I used 3/8" You want the largest that will fit! Any sag in the rod drops the bike further.

I first tried some threaded rod I had hanging around. That may have been 3/8. But it sagged too much so I had to go out and actually spend money [laugh] I recommend measuring the ID and getting the fattest rod your H/W store has that will fit.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! I managed to raise the rear ride height on Sat using my rear stand and a regular car jack mounted between the rear tire and the frame of the bike. Haven't had a chance to test ride it yet, but I will sometime this week.

Just a little tip for anyone else who are thinking of attempting this:

Becareful not to jack it up too high with the car jack at first. Loosen the bolt that connects the rear swing arm to the "n" shaped suspension arm. Then slowly jack the rear up while at the same time try to wiggle the connection bolt. This way, it will give you a good idea of just how high you should go with the jack before hyper extending the rear suspension components. Once the connecting bolt is whiggling freely, you've reached the "neutral" height and bolts are ready to be taken out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've always just broken loose the jam nuts and adjusted the rod.
Why unweight the rear tire?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wandering Scot said:
I've always just broken loose the jam nuts and adjusted the rod.
Why unweight the rear tire?

What year bike do you have? I have the older height adjuster that's "n" shaped with two adjusters on either side. To my knowledge it requires you to unweight the rear tire, or else the entire bike would collaps.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Dynamic213 said:
What year bike do you have? I have the older height adjuster that's "n" shaped with two adjusters on either side. To my knowledge it requires you to unweight the rear tire, or else the entire bike would collaps.
You do have to unweight the rear. You then loosen the lock nuts, remove the screws through the heim joints, and back the joints out the same number of turns on each side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking S4R, (what I have) and most of the other single sided swingarmed models.
I didn't think about the U linkage design.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Wandering Scot said:
Sorry, I was thinking S4R, (what I have) and most of the other single sided swingarmed models.
I didn't think about the U linkage design.
No problem. We ride antiques. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts