Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here experienced minor oil seaping from the bottom gasket on the rear cylinder on there S4. I was just curious if this is a cronic problem or just an isolated incident. I have the gasket kit on order and it will be fixed as part of the 12,000 mile service. Is there anything else that I should have checked while he has the engine torn down? Right now I have the following scheduled
Oil leak,gasket
Cam belts
Plugs
Valve adjustment

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Probably most have been fixed by now. Once fixed they usually stay fixed. There is an oil galley that needs to be blocked off, make sure the shop knows about it.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was talking with the service manager today and he had know idea about blocking any of the oil galleys.If anyone out there can go into a little more detail about what needs to happen so this does not reoccur would be great.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
It's best to have that oil gallery plugged.
Make sure they order a head gasket too.

Don't replace the plugs unless they're bad, OEM plugs are *really* expensive.
I've got 27k miles on my original plugs...

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Speeddog said:
It's best to have that oil gallery plugged.
Make sure they order a head gasket too.
I concur. The shop MUST block the gallery. Mine did not (against my advice - that I got from here) and the leak re appeared 5,000kms later. The shop sheepishly re did it at their own cost (and my inconvenience)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine has a very slight leek/seepage - but not enough to be a concern so I haven't bothered to worry about it. Seems a few mils of extra oil once a month is a small price to pay compared to a tear down.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Dave 1304 said:
Mine has a very slight leek/seepage - but not enough to be a concern so I haven't bothered to worry about it. Seems a few mils of extra oil once a month is a small price to pay compared to a tear down.
it's not really a 'tear down,' just pulling the head, pretty minor surgery and save you some headache later... if you don't mind the leak, no biggie, it's your bike, but eventually, it'll seep a bit more and you'll think about doing it, shouldn't hurt anything for you to continue riding it until it does though *shrug*

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is deffinitly the base gasket on my bike you can see the wetness around the gasket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts