Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I chopped my tail a way back. It looks great (see pic), but the thing is when I brake the tail light only lights up a little. It shines fine when running on "idle".

I've read som threads on the rear tail light not working properly after tailchop. Any suggestion as to what may be causing this problem?

Should I change the bulb? For a LED one? Is it the switch under the seat that might be crappy?

The result of the brakelight is the same wether I brake with the front or the rear brake.

Plz help! I'm going nuts!

Regs,
/Fred the Swede

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
That sure sounds like the lightbulb is in backwards. I've done that more than once on the '97 M900. The tail light is really bright and the brake light is barely brighter, right?

From looking at the socket, you would think it could only go in one way, but the bulb actually felt more natural to me going in backwards than the right way. Take the lens off and try rotating the bulb 180 degrees before you do anything else.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If the bulb trick doesn't work, bust out the multi-meter and make sure your getting 12 volts to the running and brake light.

Be sure to check the front brake and rear since they both have seperate switches. They both activate the bulb from the same wire that connects to the tail light, BUT they join together somewhere under the seat.

I currently have a short in my front brake switch and I know how agravating this can be! Luckly you can buy a new switch online for $13 and not get bent over at the local dealer. (I'm not saying your brake switch is bad)

·
Registered
374 Posts
make sure you didnt swop the two wires. If you did the light will be bright all the time and only light a little when the brake lever is pressed.

I did this one myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts