Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My wife has a 2000 M750 which always had the dreaded rear brake squeak. Well now it has gone from a high pitch squeak to a real loud moan/groan type noise. What is the fix, better pads, different brake pad compound or ?

Thanks,
Sexyitalians Hubby!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stop using rear brake...but seriously there is a fix that might work on www.ducatisuite.com.

I have the same problem on my ST4s with only 3000 km ...people stare. Will try to change the pads.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the search facility for threads for rear brake problems.
I had the usual squeal till changing to sinterless pads. I also had a very worn rear disc - undersize. Ended up switching to an non-OEM disc, and with the new pads don't have any noise at all ;D ;D ;D
...Simon

·
Registered
374 Posts
You either have a lot of brake dust in them or they have glazed over. If you don't want to spend the money on new one just yet because these are still good, take them off and scuff them up with a high grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Andrew's emplaation is 99.9% right, most cases you have too much grit. Clean with brake/carb cleaner, make sure the rear of the pads have appropraite brake grease where the caliper meets the pad, else scuff the rotor **lightly**

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The rear brake on my 97 M900 squeeked no matter how much I cleaned or sanded the pads. Applying that blue anti-squeek stuff to the back didn't help for long either. Then I bought a different brand of pads and heard almost no squeeks from it after that.

I don't know what pads are on the ST2, but they don't squeek.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I am not mistaken there was dealer refit kit to address this problem. What the kit consisted of I am not sure.as My rear brake has never made any noise.

A lower friction pad may not hurt.
keep in mind that under extream braking Loads the rear wheel contact patch is almost NON- exsistant, and in some cases the rear wheel is lifted free of the pavement. To much rear brake = a sliding rear wheel when the tires are sliding you are no longer stopping! Some racers even allow a little "Mush" in the system to prevent this very thing, this allows them to use the rear brake to settle the suspension as needed with out fear of a lock up: now they have {Slipper} clutches to boot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts