Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2003 Ducati Monster 620. I have replaced the brake pads and now I can not get any pressure in the brake pedal. Now, before you start chattering off solutions... Here are my troubleshooting:

1. I have checked the seal in the caliper - Seal is good.
2. I have checked the pressure going into and coming out of the master cylinder.
3. The pressure going to the rear brake caliper works.
4. I'm attempting to bleed the rear brake with the nipple/screw, getting no pressure.
5. I keep getting clear brake fluid every time I twist open the nipple/screw, but still no pressure.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dumb question: is the caliper back on the disc and mounted on the bike? You wont get any pressure unless the pad has something to push against.

Have you bled brakes before? If not, here's what I do.

Remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir. Make sure that there's enough fluid to fill the line. replace the cap.

Connect clear tubing to the caliper bleeder nipple and route to a drain pan.

Put your wrench on the bleeder nipple, but don't turn yet. Press and hold the brake lever. While you're holding the brake lever down, open AND close the bleeder nipple, then release the brake lever. Repeat this process until there are no more air bubbles leaving the bleeder nipple.

You may have to cycle the brake lever several times before you get pressure. Monitor your reservoir level during this process so you don't run out of oil.

Sorry if this isn't the problem, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do appreciate any input right now. However, I have done that at least 30 times if not more.:) I just haven't had any luck. But thanks though. Will it still work if I do not have a tube hooked up to the bleeder nipple?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brake fluid is hard on paint and coatings. If you get it on things it is important to wipe it off soon with some soap and water. Clear hose is generally easy to find at your local hardware store, and prevents a mess on your bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue. I noticed 1 of the pads was almost to the metal, the other was ok, the rotor has some light grooves on one side.
I had just bought the bike and decided to go ahead and replace the pads.
I bought and installed cheap pads. (SOK Brand, will not buy them again)

Anyway, first thing I noticed is that even with the new "thick" pads, the rear brake was now working as well as with the worn pads, but at least they were new.
SO then the next morning when I went to ride, the rear brake was gone, completely failed.

So I went onto bleeding the brake, Ok but still not as much break as I need, plus I also had to adjust the pedal throw. This was ok, but here are the current issues.

I had to screw in the bolt that is on the pedal itself, in order to raise the pedal height.
I also had to extend the push-rod so that it would depress the slave piston further.
I bled the brakes but there were no bubbles and it bleeding didnt seem to help at all.
Overall the brakes were ok, but far from great. (we are talking Brembos)

I dealed with this for a few weeks now, then yesterday it rained, the SOK pads got wet, and failed completely, so this morning I check the bike and still nothing, the pedal height adjusting bolt was loose and backed out some, the pads look like they are firmly pressed against the rotor, and even with the pedal fully depressed there is no resistance. It feels like the system is full of air, yet there are NO leaks anywhere.

I am stumped, but am also going to buy new Brembo brand pads to start with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you probably need a vacuum bleeder for your brake as the "fall" of the brake line does not allow a gravity assist...
That would be nice, but the problem is , the rear brake is soo unpredictable. When I first got the bike a month ago, It was ok , but squeaking, but it has never been 100% perfect.
The quality of braking seems to come and go, anytime anything is done, I had the rear tire replaced, and suddenly it wasnt working as good. I wash it and it stops working, I even let it dry and that didnt help.

Anyway, I bought and installed Ducati OEM Brembo pads this morning, and that took forever,, but it only took 2 minutes to install the cheap pads. I actually had to remove the caliper this time, because depressing one piston caused the other to protrude.

So I spent all afternoon bleeding and adjusting etc, its ok again, but far from perfect, or safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts