Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, going to have to sell my bike. Havent been riding it for months and need cash. Got another baby on way... Anyways, not point. The rear brake has been shot for month, just ignored it. Last night tried bleading it, nothing. What next? Remember, low low low on cash.

PS - I have a 05 S4R. had its 12K tune up last year, but very few miles ago (and that was early, only has just under 12K now) and brake starting getting worse there after..

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure from your post how long you've spent trying to bleed them but the last time i did mine it took more than a few atempts, I ended up using the following system:

Take the caliper off of its bolts and cable tie it to the grab rail so the pipe is all up hill.

Then open the bleed nipple and leave over night, a couple of taps to the banjo bolts (think thats what theyre called) and alond the length of the system everytime you passs the bike while in this state will make sure all the tiny bubbles work their way up.

Then just bleed as normal using the tip below and refit the caliper or refit the caliper and bleed (the remaining air should be at the end of the system now).

A good tip I got for bleeding whilst off the brake disc was to put an old pair of pads in whilst doing this with a scrap plate of metal inbetween roughly the same width as the brake disc so you can get the brake pistons back apart without damaging your good pads.

If this doesn't work try taking the cap off of the resevouir, make sure its topped up and operating the brake slowly to try and release air in the master cylinder.

I was just about to order a new master cylinder after going through half a bottle of fluid tring to bleed as normal when my brother-inlaw showed me this method, worked first try!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How far is your brake pedal play? A well bled system should have an inch or so of travel before it bites. Once the rear brake is applied it should not feel soft.

If these things feel good check the brake pads. maybe the glazed over, or worn down? If this is the case they will need to be sanded and rebedded. Also no mater what you should give everything a good cleaning with a brake cleaner. If you got any chain wax on the rotor forget about stopping... its useless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts