Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a rider safety class and was told that the rear brake should leave a skid when working properly. When I brake hard with the rear brake it does this wretched clacking (which doesn't inspire confidence) and doesn't fully lock up. Is this some sort of anti-lock feature? I can't find a reference to it in the manual.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm pretty sure anti-lock brakes aren't offered on Monsters. I'm no mechanic or an expert on bikes but it sounds kind of like wheel hop. I personally don't want to ever lock up my rear brake ;)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Chrome,

Correct on both counts, no ABS on Monsters and it sure sounds like wheel hop.
Monster's don't have really strong rear brakes........

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for your thoughts. You have to know that I've just barely broken the engine in on my bike and before that I got around on an Italjet 125 Torpedo Scooter. That being said I haven't the foggiest idea what wheel hop is....

BTW I wish that the dealer had given me this URL when I purchased my bike. It's really amazingly useful-unlike so many things.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My Monster when new, felt like the rear brakes were way too soft to be normal. Maybe it was the new pads, but after a while it started to get more bite. It does lock up every now and then (due to my blunders). I'm used to it now, but I wouldn't mind getting a little more rear braking power.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never really tried to explain it. It is really just that. Your rear wheel could be "hoping" up and down making intermittent contact with the pavement which in turn causes things to rattle (chain, license plate bracket, etc) making all kinds of racket. Just use the front brake :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts