Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I searched for this topic but couldn't find anything so sorry for beating a dead horse if this thread has previously been answered. I put Rizoma rear sets on my bike and had to get a longer hose connecting the resevoir to the banjo assembly. When I completed all of this I tried bleeding the brakes. I have done this numerous times on other bikes and have been successful but not this time. I haven't been able to build any pressure at all. Here are the steps I took.
1. Filled the resevoir
2. Loosen the bleeder valve and connect drain hose to bleeder valve
3.began to pump
4. Pumped until new fluid began to drain, as well as re filled resevoir as needed.
5. ONce new fluid began to drain, closed bleeder valve
6. Tested to see if brakes work
Result: no brake pressure at all.

What is the deal? Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks
Patrick

G

·
A simple rearrange of the steps.

Fill the resevoir, connect your drain line, pump the lever until you get pressure then crack open the bleeder.
The lever will go down, close the bleeder before letting it return to resting position.
Repeat as necessary.

And Bob, assuming you're related, is therefore your uncle!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried pumping the lever until I got pressure and was unable to build any, in order to bleed it the way you suggest. This is a strange problem because it worked fine before I moved the assembly to its new position. There are no crimps in any lines or anything. What else do you guys suggest?

BoB?????

-Patrick

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
is your caliper on the top of the rotor or on the bottom? if it is mounted on the bottom, your bleeder scew is on the bottom and the air will be trapped. remove the caliper, hold it so the bleeder screw is facing up, put something between the brake pads to replace the rotor so the pistons do not come out to far(a piece of plywood or plastic will do) and bleed.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rotor is on top :( I still don't know what to do. I'm going to go have to look and play a lil more

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
you may have to pump, open, close, pump, open, close a few times before you get pressure. we may be missing something here. you say "moved the assembly to it's new position". could you clarify/expand on that?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put on rizoma rearsets and had to move the banjo bolt assembly to a lower position with them. I also had to get a longer hose for the resevoir which meant having to bleed the brakes. The banjo assembly is now at an angle facing about 4:30 as opposed to a clock, whereas the old ones were about horizontal. Hope this can clear stuff up. The banjo bolt is at this position because of the new rear brake peg position, and the banjo bolt would not go in at the same angle as the old position with the old rear sets.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I would bench bleed the system.. if not that, at least remove the caliper from the rotor and try again.

G

·
are you using a mityvac???? I don't use one personally but if you can't get the air out for some reason that will help. If an air pocket is trapped in there suckin' on that thing might help. When I used to work at an automobile dealership I was taught to tap on the caliper lightly, will help dislodge any air bubbles that might be caught on a rough edge inside the caliper.

I stick the tube coming off the bleeder valve into a cup of brake fluid, i think it uses more brake fluid but seems to work for me. :-/
anyway thats my .02$ good luck

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, well after an hour or two of playing and pumping I finally got all of the air out. Actually the rear brakes turned out to be easy. I then had so much confidence in myself I went ahead and put on my new evoluzione clutch slave cylinder and that took forever!!!! Talk about air bubbles. Anyways its all on and put back together. I ended up sticking a tube in brake fluid after all. Thanks for that suggestion. Thanks all of you for your help.

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Get a vac pump. cheap at auto parts stores. I bleed and change all of my fleet's brake and clutch fluids this way and never have any problems.

Fleet consists of 3 cages 99 Mustang cobra, 94 mustang cobra 95 s10, and two cycles, my 98 monster 900 and son's 94 Suzy 600. We change all brake and clutch fluids in all units once a year. Prevents rust and water (boils at much lower temp than Brake Fluid)

BTW, I took me all of 10 minutes toput my evo clutch slave on and bleed it.

Happy pumping.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fly...

Is the vac pump run off of compressed air? I know the mitivac is. I don't have compressed air so a electrically powered one would be ideal.

-Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
You can get a hand pump... Most Pep Boys have them. If not, Ca-Cycleworks sells them.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I KNEW there was an Austin Powers joke coming, and I knew it was coming from you.

I almost made the joke myself just to spoil it for you.

--Fillmore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts