Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie to street bike buying so please have patience. questions:
1) what is everyone paying for the new year m800?
any advice for buying strategy?

2) what are the availability issues? can any general cycle dealer just order an m800? are there any hurdles do getting one in your hands besides the money?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hiya SGris / newbie! Welcome. :)

Welllll, I've got some thoughts. I've been there / done that and have a bit of expereince.

Normally, I recommend something very cheap for a first bike. Take someone with some experience with you and buy something used. I know you lust for a Ducati, but I advise buying Suzuki GS500 or something like that. At least Ducati Monsters are roughly equivalent, so a used 750 would rork, too.

Make your first bike USED. ABused is ok, too, but you need to ensure the mechanicals are in working order. New battery, tires, chain+sprockets, and a tune up will run you a grand. Take any used bike to a shop for a free estimate of what the bike needs. Look at what 2000~2002 Monster 750s are selling for. 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a new one. And many are meticulously cared for.

Expect that you are going to drop your first bike. On a Monster, this will likely dent the tank. The tank is VERY expensive. Get frame sliders to help. ALWAYS wear motorcycle helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and pants. Note the order of this protective equipment. Helmet for your brain, gloves for your hands. These are excruciatingly important for your daily life and livlihood.

Only Ducati dealers sell Ducati motorcycles, so not any shop can get you a new Ducati. ANY shop MAY have a used Monster, but it's certain that if they do not have a service technician that is a Ducati enthusiast, they will not know much about the bike.

Good luck ... and have fun!
:) Chris

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Listen to Chris. He gives good advice.

For pricing, I always recommend that you look at what Wilson's is selling them for (http://www.wilsonsmc.com/) as a starting point. They usually have real good prices on any leftover models from last year. Don't expect to get the same price from your local dealer. It at least will help you decide if you're getting a reasonable deal or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you very much for the advice and patience. Ive ridden mx bikes since i was a kid but ive ridden about a total of a mile on a street bike. I WILL drop this thing, i was trying to forget about that. But what the hell buy a used bike (cheaper also) cut my chops and then go to the monster. that stinks but i guess wrecked monsters dont get as many girls a working ones

·
Registered
447 Posts
Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi SGris, welcome to the world of Ducati. Remember this, all we have is the now, we can not relive the past and we might not have a future, so why wait. Buy the Monster while you can. It is not true that you will drop your first bike, I did not, it is only some of the lads here (The Bikedroppers) who bring this up again and again. If you look at used Monsters do not buy anything older that year 2000. That year Ducati did a major update of the Monsters. You could get at M600 or a M750 at a good price. If money is not in short supply, go for the M800. You will not outgrow that bike, It has the power to keep you happy for years and years. Take care and remember, it is in your second year of riding most accidents happen.
Safe ride.

Slim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you know that is a good point slim. Practicallity is an important aspect of life but then again just doing what you want is also. I see both sides of the point and really really appreciate ALL of the advice i have recieved. im shocked everyone was so nice to an ignorant newbie. i think i may just go with slim. i have made many mistakes in life. i now have a pretty good tolerance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After you and Jack Daniels have sorted things out please come back man with a progress report. You see when you buy the Monster you will have a great team, You, Jack and the Monster. That is why I always say that the Monster is a he. (Never a she) The Monster is a mate like Jack. So when life sucks you go with Jack to the Monster and you will have a great time, they will understand. But do not ride if Jack has been around too long.

Slim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you know everyone idea were great and made sense but im really getting the slim vibe. i will definatly keep you guys informed believe me. wont be for about 2 months though but i will announce. and thank you again to EVERYONE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damn thank you very much that was cool of you. looking for black and wont have the cash for a month but i need all the help i can get

1 - 14 of 14 Posts