Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic said that my Haynes service manual doesn't cut the mustard for my 03' Monster. Says I need a Factory service manual. Where can I get a affordable "real" manual?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've had the Ducati manual on order from the dealer for about a month now. Others here have said they've been waiting longer. I don't know anyone that's actually seen one. Should be about the same price as H0nda or Kawa - around $100. And they are worth every penny. I'm in the middle of a 16K check on my VTEC Interceptor now, and following the perfectly designed, beautifully illustrated maintenance manual. The Haynes manual doesn't cover much of anything well, and certainly doesn't cover the newer versions. The trouble is that no aftermarket publisher has access to the factory specs, CAD drawings and other stuff that's imperative for a complete manual.

My dealer tried to discourage me from buying the factory book. It seems they don't have one either, and no one there has ever seen one. That does make me a little nervous.

-Don

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
This isn't exactly what you were looking for, but

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/catalogs.jhtml;$sessionid$Y3TC50YAAA3WYCRNBQRCFFQKFUGCEIV5

You can learn a thing or two by perusing the exploded diagrams. I did :)

Kevin

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I'm hoping that the dealer that says they've never seen a factory service manual is meaning that they've never seen an '03 factory service manual.

I've got an '01 Monster S4 factory service manual. Paid $112.01 out the door, including the fancy Ducati 4-ring binder. Woulda been $91.59 without the binder.

It's a very good manual. I've gotten the factory manuals for my last three scooters and last three cars, never paid less than $50, and never regretted it.

If that dealer is saying they have never ever seen a Ducati factory service manual, then IMHO they're too stupid for words. Out of the kindness of my heart I'll gladly show them mine, just so they can avoid sounding like total idiots in the future.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the factory manual for the '02 620. Paid $50 for it, but bought it with my bike. Waited almost 3 months for Ducati to get around to sending it. Its a good manual, worth the $, especially if you can split it with a buddy or two in your riding group.

mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hrmm...if that's the case, anyone have the factory manual for the 2002 M750S i.e....I would like to make photocopies of all the pages and stuff...Please let me know!! Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looks right...but...which model is that for?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Speeddog,

I'm guessing they haven't seen the 2003 manuals. A 2002 would have been OK (I didn't ask), but there were a few changes for 2003 that I'd like to have documented.

So, I'm still waiting...

-Don

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Don,

Absolutely, if you're going to get a factory manual, getting the right year is the way to go.

Unfortunately, I didn't know that there were some differences between the '01 and '02 S4's, so I'm living with it. The dealer had the manual on the shelf, I would have bought it even if I had known. Maybe I'll order an '02 manual........

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you monster hooligan, that manual looks perfect! Beautimas!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
The Ducati 2V manuals that I have read through assume the reader is a mechanic, while the Haynes manuals do not. Further, actual pictures are always better than the line art used in Ducati factory manuals.

Kinda funny that someone references a h0nda factory manual like that somehow applies to Ducati. Nothing that h0nda does is in the same frame of reference as Ducati.

:) Chris

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
excuse me for bumping this topic, but I'd just like to clarify with the expert panel that the information from the '02 M620 factory service manual will suffice for basic to moderate maintanance of the '03 M620?
And a recommended supplement for the factory service manual is the LT Snyder book, right?

thanks

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I havn't seen the Haynes (and having used their stuff for cars many years ago, I'm not sure I want to!). I bought the factory manual from my dealer, they just had a copy on the shelf.. I was just under $100, but id didn't come with the real weird 4 hole cover (which they could get for another $20 or so).

It's a big red manual (with some greasy thumbprints now..) in both Italian and English and it covers EVERYTHING.. it includes all the stuff in the little manual that came with the bike (if you purchased new), plus a lot, a lot more. Mine had actual picutres and very few line drawings.

This pic might show an idea of the size of the thing:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see you're wearing your "thinking cap" Alex! Where's the Ducati coffee mug? ;)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
It's too warm for coffee here in Cali..

The hat has a built-in aluminum liner that keeps the alien signals out of my brain.. that and it's kevlar reinforced in case I trip an fall which is very likely with feet as big as mine..

Funny thing about the mug.. we (DML'ers in the SF Bay Area) got to visit DNA's headquarters last Saturday and I spotted a few of those mugs around the office..

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've seen the manuals for sale for 2000 and later bikes. Is there any hope for my 99 M750? I've seen the book titled:

Ducati 600, 750, 900 Supersport, Superlight, Monster M600, M900 Repair Manual 1991-1996

Will this work or did they make changes to the 2-valve v-twin between 96 and 99?

TIA for any help guys.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The Ducati 2V manuals that I have read through assume the reader is a mechanic, while the Haynes manuals do not. Further, actual pictures are always better than the line art used in Ducati factory manuals.

Kinda funny that someone references a h0nda factory manual like that somehow applies to Ducati. Nothing that h0nda does is in the same frame of reference as Ducati.

:) Chris
I wonder if Ca-Cycleworks would sell these manuals? ;)

I could use one for a 1999 M900

·
Registered
669 Posts
As am I. I am by no means a good mechanic ... probably not yet even mediocre ... but I would like to work on my own bike. Dont really feel comfortable working on it without having some sort of manual to help me along the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts