Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone with experience with re-packing aftermarket silencers?
- how often, if ever?
- which manufacturers are easy to re-pack and which are difficult to re-pack?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've done it on my Gia.Ca.Moto (Ducati Performance) carbon slipons (which are for sale, by the way). It involved drilling out 10 rivets on each end, then pulling everything apart. I had to buy a special hardened drill bit to get through the original rivets. I picked up some 4-stroke packing material from Cycle Gear to repack with.

I had run the pipes for probably 4 years and 12-15K miles before repacking. There were only a couple of spots where the original packing was worn or burned. I saved the cloth wrap that had been around the original packing material to wind around the new stuff. I used red High-temperature Permatex to seal the edges when I put the two end caps back on. I probably should use it on all pipe connections.

The original rivets were hard to drill out, but I replaced them with aluminum rivets, so it will be much easier next time. Oval cans (like mine) are harder to deal with than round ones. Any cans that are not riveted on both ends are likely to be more difficult to repack.

Anything else you need to know?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two Brothers Racing sells repack kits replete with packing and rivets. They also sell a real decent rivet gun.

Its an itchy process.

How often depends on how much noise you're putting out and and quickly your bike fries the stuffing.

My old cans were done at 10K miles and I pulled them apart at 18K miles and the repack was cooked in some areas

·
Registered
588 Posts
I did some experimenting removing the Packing out of my Termi's. I took out 50% (still not loud enough), then 100% (too Barky, sounded like a V8 Supercar when you back off) then ended up putting back in 25%, sounds great now, just got that Loud Duke Thump.

Like scott said it's only a matter of drilling out the rivits each end & they just pull apart. Mine are round Alloy can's & only have 6 rivits each end. I Had 46,000 k's up but bought the bike second hand so don't know how long the termi's have been there. There is a fine wire mesh around the cetre perforated exhaust sleeve (which had a hole burnt in each side about 25mm round) & then a fiberglass like material around that (which was totally intact) & finally a high Temp Tape to keep it all in place. I've done it a few times now & can do the whole job start to finish in about 40mins, it's easy. I also used std (3/16") Alloy blind rivits.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info. sounds like the fiberglass packing lasts longer than i thought.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
;I just repacked my TBR can with the kit they sell ($20) and it was relatively easy. Getting the thing apart after drilling out the rivets (they include the bit in the kit) was the hardest part and then getting all the components back in the outer shell, lined up and together was a little tricky, but after wrestling the thing all over the garage it came together. The riveting part was the easiest. I had called TBR and inquired about how often you're supposed to do it and they told be about every 12000 miles. I did it at 20K and after looking at the innerds decided that it did NOT need to be done (very little degridation of the OEM packing material). Don't know about other manufacturers, but it's probably similar. Not a big deal, really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts