Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: I was almost killed today

*gulp* Glad your still with us.

I haven't been riding long, but when i have been in that position (approaching an intersection and see a suspicious car) i flash my brights....not a guaranteed attention grabber, but every bit helps!

·
Registered
265 Posts

Glad you're okay. BTW, I'm about to schedule my MSF course, and was wondering how in-depth the training for those kind of situations are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I am also hoping to schedule a MSF soon. Hopefully it will go over how to save our arse if this happens. Good job staying up. Ride safe.

Rainman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

MSF has a technique called SIPDE, search, identify, predict, decide, execute. (IIRC)

So I'm sure the instructors would tell you to assume the driver will pull out, so begin to plan your escape. Sounds like dreamse83 did a good job. Saw the threat, predicted she would pull out, planned his escape and pulled it off! Glad you kept your cool and didn't dump it or hit the car!

Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Happy Birthday, glad that you made it.

I was almost killed just last week, almost the same situation: women, cellphone, SUV, she ran a redlight.

Yes, I practised SIPDE and that saved my axx.

·
Registered
136 Posts

I've got one that's even better...but not as life threatening.

I was first in line at a stop light in the right hand lane. It was broad daylight and a white Saturn SUV stopped behind me. Once the light turned green, I went through the intersection and put on my blinker since I was pulling into the very next commerical driveway.

I slowed as I was pulling in since there was a father with a toddler walking on the sidewalk, also approaching the driveway. All of sudden I hear the screeching of brakes and as I turned into the driveway, I saw the SUV had to slam on its brakes but it wasn't paying attention from the 2 second from when it was behind me at the stoplight and almost rearended me. It ended up swerving to the right to avoid me and almost hit the father and child on the sidewalk.

JACK*SS!!

I was hoping the SUV was going to pull into the driveway after me so I could give the driver a piece of my mind.

Anyway, glad to hear you're okay!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

May is motorcycle awarness month too. [smiley=dissappointed.gif]

·
Registered
827 Posts

Way to let that woman know whats up. Sounds like she needed the wake-up call.

BTW Happy B-day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Happy Birthday....

That story sounds like an everyday Tampa event. The main section of road through town is Dale Mabry. Riding on this section of road is almost a sure fire way of getting involved in some sort of accident or being killed. Everytime I get near that stretch of road I cringe and ride more cautious.

These damn soccer mom's in their SUV's are EVERYWHERE AROUND HERE. Most of them, I would fully say a good 90% have a load of kids and are gabbing away with other soccer mom's on their cell phones, OBLIVIOUS to what is going on around them. If any of them get even remotely close to me I make sure they wake up by a few randomly placed slow downs before they are too close to me. As for drivers pulling out, if I have any indication that they might I make my actions a little more obvious, like pointing or weaving a little bit.... I have survived 4yrs here so far and if anyone has been here they know exactly what I am talking about.

I really am glad to hear that you are alright and I really wish you could have done MORE to wake that ignorant driver up.....

Oh well ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts

Damn, glad to hear you are ok....those episodes keep us always aware of what is going on around us. Try to let it go for now and enjoy your birthday even if it's hard.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

i had something like that happen to me, but i was actually hit. i was in my car luckily, but i don't know what made me drive it instead of my bike. it was perfect weather on a sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm also glad to read that your skills saved you. Here in OH, we have those highway intersections too, and I hate them. I watch for cagers like that every-time. Keep on riding!

·
Registered
724 Posts

you know, thats not a bad idea to just follow them home like that... because then it really hits home for them (like it prolly did for that lady) that they REALLY should pay more attention...

giving them the bird, and driving away wont teach 'em much...altho, its damn fun! ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

HAppy B-day, glad you are still around to read all the well-wishes.
I don't think that following the person home might have been all that great an idea. I mean it could have gone bad in a real hurry. Road Rage, no matter how justified, is nothing to joke about these days. Don't let me fool you, I have had my moments too, but one woman changed how I react these days. She cut me off and after I followed her for a few miles to let her know how I felt about that whole air-headed act, she pulled into a gas station and pulled a pistol and her cell phone to call the police. as crappy as it sounds, sometimes you can be thankful to walk away from a near accident with just a small skid mark in your shorts. beats laying on a slab. chances are, in a few days, the chick will have forgotten all about your little run in and be back to driving like the mindless zombies that seem more prevalent now.

·
Registered
259 Posts

I must be in the minority but Dream needs to take a chill. Everything about the incident is opposite of what should have been done.

He saw the woman but did not reduce his speed. A 10 mph reduction could have bought you much more room to escape. Did not cover the brakes and have an exit strategy planned. He locked up and then decided to swerve - not good. He also could have made himself more visible - light flick with that Duc thumb trigger - but did not.

Instead he maintained his speed and is lucky not to have high-sided it by locking up the rear and then going for the swerve. Chasing the woman accomplishes nothing and is a crime in my area. Your lucky she did not report you and you did not spend your 21st locked up.

Now that you are 21 you can take responsibility for your decisions. You are in control of your bike. Beng seen and riding safe ius your responsibility not the soccer mom's. She maybe stupid, drunk or not paying attention. Don't let your life depend on her decisions, but rather on yours. Your lucky to be alive despite yourself.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but....better you are around for another 21 than you bite it on your next ride.

·
Registered
447 Posts

Your story gave me chills. Thank God you're alright. I don't recall the MSF course teaching the SIPDE, but I pactice it anyway. Happy Birthday!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Put these on your bike. Best thing that you can do....Hella Supertones.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts

I kind of agree with jfruiz. From your description the very first thing you should have done when seeing a car that might possibly cut in front of you was reduce speed. If I even have a thought that somone might pull out in front of me I reduce speed drastically and try to move over if possible. If you have enough time to think "don't pull out", you have enough time to slow down and avoid to situation. Especially if you had enough time to determine a "point of no return" for changing your course. Sure it was her fault for pulling out in front, but it doesn't sound like you did anything to avoid it yourself. At least that's my opinion...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts