Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: first bike

Hello all. I posted a little while ago about some good opportunities but a couple slipped away from me. I was wondering if anyone has a suggested location to purchase a used monster. I want to get something between 2002-2005. Also what are your suggestions for purchasing a used bike? Should it be only from a local seller? Should I only purchase from a dealer? Should I take the bike to Ducati of Miami for an inspection prior to purchasing?

thanks,

ben

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did bought a used bike not so long ago. It is actually my first bike and I'm not a mechanic engeneer.

Things that I looked for was looks. I wanted a bike that I could watch for hours without getting bored. Then I looked at mileage, service, modification and price.

THEN I brought it to a DUCATI dealer and got it inspected. I got him to give me a list of what's to be done now, in a few thousands mile and later.

Dealed the price with that new information and ended up buying a
'02 Senna S4.

I went with my heart and guts first and then followed with my head to take the best dicision for ME at this time.

Never regretted it anyhow.

GL

·
Registered
72 Posts
The worse thing you have to keep an eye on is for is a hidden lemon especially if it's your first bike. I don't know how often something like that happens but you never know. Also when buying off Craigslist ask them directly "Does this bike have a clean title?" MAKE SURE THE BIKE DOES NOT HAVE A SALVAGED TITLE. Salvaged bikes can be a good deal for the right people but I wouldn't recommend one as a first bike. If you don't know what that means google it. Sometimes the owner will lure you to come see the bike and after you're in love with it mention that is has a salvaged title (happened to me.) The old saying applies: anything too good to be true, is.

My veteran biker friend gave me good advice regarding used bikes for first timers (especially on craigslist) to look at atleast 3 bikes before selecting one. Not only does this prevent you from buying the first shiny Duc you set your eyes on but if you ride them you can hear the difference between engines, steering, and control.

Additionally, I don't have a lot of biker friends and the one I do know has ridden for years but doesn't know much about the inner-workings. When I finally has settled on the bike I wanted, I mentioned that I needed one last visit from my "mechanic" biker friend to give the bike a last look over - the seller didn't even flinch and I knew we were all good! Regardless, my biker friend did ride the bike and gave it the a-ok as well.

The best situation is to find a seller who is honest with a good bike at a decent price. I was lucky in that I found this really honest finance-type guy with kids and a young family who essentially babied and garaged his bike for years. It's a 2001 model without a single scratch on it. Though I felt I paid a few hundred more for the bike than I thought it was worth (even after haggling) I felt really comfortable about the deal (not to mentioned the bike was a bit more powerful than others I looked at, sounded great, and didn't have a single scratch on it.)

Later when I eventually took the bike to one of the two only shops that work on Ducs in the City I found he had also taken the bike there for years and so I asked for every single record of the bike they had in the system of work done - everything he had ever mentioned about the bike (leaving it in the garage for 2 years and having to buy a new starter, etc.) was described as he said.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Additionally, keep in mind you need to take the bike in for maintenance every 6,000 miles. The 6k one I hear is not too expensive (mine was already over it when I got it) but the 12k one can cost up to $1000. Keep that mind when haggling. Got my bike at 11k and now it's about that time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts