Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Bad experience with Norm's tank repair

If the tank repair was so far off, why did you paint it before complaining about it? Norm's tanks always come back as grey primer, don't they? I can't tell from the photos what's wrong with the shape of the tank.

And I thought you had to remove all of the stuff from the tank yourself before sending it. I know my gas cap would be safe at home if I had sent him a tank. In fact, now that Chris Kelley owns the tank, I'm hoping to see before and after photos if he sends it to Norm.

Here's the "before" shot and a link to a big version for those who are curious:

http://www.testastretta.net/~srnelson/MonsterParts/TankRight800.jpg

Maybe I should have quoted the whole thing so the text could stick around or something.

This thread might as well be locked without that.

H

·
0 Posts

You're obviously not happy with the work, but is this really the best way of going about this? Norm's a pretty well respected figure around here, and alot of people have had work done by him with satisfactory results.

R

·
0 Posts

I see your point also, but this really isn't the place to air dirty laundry. I have sen things like this drag good boards down. I don't know Norm or you. I have no side. Something about this string is just not right for either of you. Delete the post and maybe handle it differently. It would be the right thing to do. Sorry if I offend. Its just my humble 2 cents.

S

·
0 Posts

KUDOS TO YOU !!!

I appreciate feedback like this, especially since it keeps people in check. they do bad work, show it !!! warn other people of this. I hate to say this, I I'm damn sure Norm will do a better job on his next tank !

D

·
0 Posts

This aint my dog, or my fight...

I don't know you or norm.

That being said, I have to disagree with you Race-day-dennis.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

I wont comment on the work itself, but as far as the gas cap is concerned, isnt there supposed to be a rubber gasket between the outer cap mount and the tank. Mine has one.

On a side note. Did you complain to your painter about the big sag in the paint above the tank latch?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

I too have never dealt with Norm. But every indication I've seen before this has indicated that Norm's a stand-up guy. Something's clearly not right with this situation.

Actually reminds me of a thread last week on the CD-ROM (Crazed Ducati Riders of Mass) list. One guy had a horrible customer relations experience with a shop that, to everyone else, is the God of Ducati shops.

Sh!t happens! I hope this is resolved in a more satisfactory (or should I say "more satisfying") manner.

For me, it will take more than one complaint over Norm's work or customer service to cause me to question the many endorsements I've read. Also, the complaint does not seem inappropriate to me either. I just hope it doesn't turn into a nasty flame war. Oh, wait! I'm sure our trusted Mod won't let that happen ;D

F

·
0 Posts

I haven't seen any of his results yet but did send him a chrome tank. In every sense so far, he has been professional and forthright unlike a large number of Duc dealers and suppliers I have dealt with.

03Monster800 could you post a before pic? It might give a better idea of what kind of repair was done.

M

·
0 Posts

I'd like a look at the "before" condition of the tank....

without context it may be like a plastic surgeon being asked by Michael Jackson to fix him up the way he used to look

why did you get it painted before examining it?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts

that tank looked pretty bad (could the pump have been damaged already) and fell apart when dismantling?
could you not of got a second hand tank?

M

·
0 Posts

disclaimer/disclosure: I'm not norm, I do not work with norm, i've not been a customer of norm and I have not now nor ever had sexual relations with that woman.... nevermind..

Okay there are some "issues" with that tank namely where the heck is the gasket that fills that gap around the gas cap? and lets not forget the ugly ass bubble forming... as for ridges and symetery

in pic two the glare makes it very difficult to see the ridges very well, can you drop the light and turn on the flash on that camera? I think I see what you are talking about in Pic #1 but shadows do not help, turn off the flash here and crank the ambient. (i know, damned if you do, damned if you dont)

a pre condition pick would help too (as others noted)... was the damage on the side that the "ridge" is shorter, aka the brake side of the bike?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

This is the infamous Nathon James. When he sent me this tank (& gas cap), he thought that they were both unrepairable & was planning on throwing them away. I told him that I could fix it. It had been crushed from the top & ended up being a difficult & lengthy job. I spent almost 2 months working on it & sprayed it repeadedly with gloss black so I could see the lines & make sure they were correct. When it left here, the lines were perfect & there were no bubbles or flaws, it was primered in grey & ready for paint. I have about 30 emails from him both praising me & complaining about me depending on the day. One of them is after his painter saw the tank & said it was a terrific repair job. Because the tank was crushed from the top, you could not get to any of the internals & of course couldn't use a torch until the fuel pump was out (I prefer that people strip the tank, but I don't charge extra if they don't). I may have broken the pump, but I didn't notice it when I was working or I would have repaired or replaced it. He has refused to let me see it since (these pics are the 1st I've seen of any of this). This is the 1st time anyone has ever told me they were unhappy with my work & when he told me, I offered to redo the tank or to pay his painter to do any touch up neccesary, but I never heard back. I polished & filled the scratches on his cap for free & as a way of apologizing for taking so long, I don't paint anymore because I have Hep-C, so I rattle canned the cap for him & he was told this at the time. After I sent him the tank, he didn't pay me & wouldn't return my emails until another DML member contacted him on my behalf. He then sent me $100 & said that would be all I was getting. My feelings were hurt, but I wrote it off. I'm a pretty easy guy to take advantage of. My wife, on the other hand, was livid that he would do this & recontaced him to try to get him to pay or to buy back the tank. We offered to refund all of his money, including all of the shipping involved (I would be happy to use this tank on one of my bikes, but I would install the gas cap washer). When he refused, she told him that she would sue him (she would!!). This was all in the last few days & this morning I got notified by PayPal the he has payed us the rest of the money. We weren't told that this was coming. Now he has appearently decided to slander me in order to vent his anger. I don't know what to do to make him happy, I've tried everyhting I know. Anybody have any ideas? Maybe the DML oficerers would like to mediate. I will always do whatever I have to in order to make someone happy. I don't charge extra for difficult jobs like this & I always do the absolute best I can, which is why some tanks take longer than others.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

Norm,

Anybody who repairs a "crushed" tank for $200 is easy to take advantage of :eek:

Don't know why you do it, but a lot of us are glad you do!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Norm,

I'm on your side 100% on this one. You do someone a favor by fixing something that shouldn't be fixable, and at a price that doesn't come close to covering the work involved, and get dragged through the mud about it. Some people are never satisfied.

I seem to remember your request for help in contacting this guy. We're on your side, Norm.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

Norm,

I'm on your side 100% on this one.

H

·
0 Posts

There is the possibility that the pump was broken as a result of the crash. You didn't remove it, so I guess the world may never know...

R

·
0 Posts

I think it looks good for $200. You really can't get D1CK for that much money these days. Nice work Norm.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

This puts me in an awkward position.
I know both these guys, and now im required to moderate in a dispute.
Nathan lives in fresno, and we have ridden together.
Norm has been on the DML a long time, and has done bike work for me several times.

It's not the DML's job to mediate disputes, but if the 2 of you would like me to function as an intermediary to moderate a mutually acceptable resolution to this disagreement, please contact me directly, and we can do it off-list. (im a trained mediator, believe it or not)

As far as this post, i am going to lock but not delete it.
We have had a complaint and a rebuttal, and those can stay posted, but I dont want this to deteriorate into personal attacks.
(if anyone has something they want to add, PM to me directly)

Jeff H.
DML Admin

S

·
0 Posts

well done ! p.s. there is a new red 620 in your parts...welcome her to the ranks !

1 - 20 of 56 Posts