Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any legal problems with buying a bike & then swapping engine & other parts into a brand new frame or rolling chassis?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Re: Rat Bikes:Is there any legal problem with buying a bike & then swapping engi

+1 Motorcycles often have different numbers on engine and frame. The bike is titled by frame #

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Rat Bikes:Is there any legal problem with buying a bike & then swapping engine

So, if I order a frame or rolling chassis without engine that would be legally the motorcycle I would be registering?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Re: Rat Bikes:Is there any legal problem with buying a bike & then swapping engine

You are registering the VIN# on the head tube. As a side benifit, if you get a frame from a 600 or 620, your insurance & registration will be based on the Vin#, even if you put a larger motor in.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
Re: Rat Bikes:Is there any legal problem with buying a bike & then swapping engi

Norm said:
You are registering the VIN# on the head tube. As a side benifit, if you get a frame from a 600 or 620, your insurance & registration will be based on the Vin#, even if you put a larger motor in.
Quoted because this is the american dream for many of us foreigners!!!

Q

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

Also be prepared to show reciepts, bills of sale and sources for all parts if you are rebuilding a bike. A buddy of mine got hammered by the DMV as he didnt have the proper documentaion for the engine he put in his GSXR after his grenaded. HE had some major hoops to jump through. They wanted the VIN from the bike the engine came from and a bill of sale from the guy he bought it from.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

What state was that? I'd have told them to go screw themselves! In NC, the only time you need a special inspection is if you are registering a salvage bike. They like reciepts, but if you don't have any, well, you don't have any. They write down the motor#, but I have no idea how they can check to see if a motor is stolen.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

That was in Minnesota, an engine # is on the title there. (for Bikes and such) They also look at engine #s here in California as well.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

Norm said:
What state was that? I'd have told them to go screw themselves! In NC, the only time you need a special inspection is if you are registering a salvage bike. They like reciepts, but if you don't have any, well, you don't have any. They write down the motor#, but I have no idea how they can check to see if a motor is stolen.
ducman851 said:
That was in Minnesota, an engine # is on the title there. (for Bikes and such) They also look at engine #s here in California as well.
believe it or not, there IS a database of engine/frame combinations.

·
Registered
783 Posts

My 2000 M750 was bought slavage from Cali. all i did was repair it and take it in to get an inspection sticker. And then got issued a clean title. This only works for bike brought in from other states into Tx though. But getting a monster for 1000.00 with a few tank dings, and some bant bars was a deal. Each state is diff. check your local laws, they change quite a bit. When I started rebuilding my bike you had to trailer it top the DMV and have an officer look it over. When I was done all that was required was a safety inspection by any local sticker shop.

G

·

I recently registered a salvage m750 here in CA and the DMV did check to see that the engine# matched what was on the title. Beats me what would have happened if it didn't match.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

DrunkenMonkey said:
I recently registered a salvage m750 here in CA and the DMV did check to see that the engine# matched what was on the title. Beats me what would have happened if it didn't match.
they would've checked the engine number against a database of stolen engines, possibly asked for documentation of the change.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Interesting.
I'm in NJ, don't know what the laws are over here but I hope they will be forgiving.
I'm sort of hoping to buy a V-Twin MFG. Replica 1948 Panhead Rigid Rolling Chassis Kit Footshift Model Chrome Finish for around $5,429. Then hopefully I can find a slightly used "Frankenpan" 88" Generator-Alternator Panhead Engine someone suggested. Kind of like a very long term project because it is so d**n expensive. I was hoping to find maybe a donar bike that was sort of salvage so I can just grab parts off. Not sure how much I could use on this old replica bike though. I have no idea what I am doing, and went out and bought like 5 books. LOL

+

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

ducrider45 said:
I put a 2000 900Sie engine in my 02 M620ie [thumbsup] No problems from the MVA or insurance. Still pay 620 rates. ;D
Really?
May I ask you how much you paid for the engine?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

How does one look up engine numbers to see if it's stolen before purchase? There are plenty of VIN# sites, but every time I ask about a motor# site, I get nothing. You always wonder if what your buying off Ebay is something stolen, but it'd be nice to be able to check BEFORE the police inform you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts