Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so Ive been having some problems with starting my monster, when I turn the key on the fuel pump spins up and the gauges sweep, but I get nothing with the starter button. No clicks or any starter movement.

In the past I would be able to click back to the steering lock and back to "on" position and it would fire, and recently I have been able to get it to fire by just poking/tugging/pushing on some of the main wires (probably not smart but I was 10 miles away from home in 112deg heat, was not about to walk) and it would fire. When it starts up it runs great just so random and annoying. Replaced the battery, worked for a bit then stopped just like before.

When it fails to start the engine light blinks twice and stays on, does this sound like a wire pinch? Maybe a short?

What are some possible remedies for this? Also if anyone has a good wiring diagram I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
G'day,
I had a problem like this on my 07 S4RS. It turned out to be the immobiliser antenna. When ever the antenna got wet or moisture in it the bike would not start. Guages would sweep, Fuel pump started then nothing. I had a 08 695 that I could swap the antenna with to diagnose the problem. Since replacing the antenna the S4RS had never missed a beat since. I used a hair dryer to dry the antenna and the bike would start. spray with water bottle and it wouldn't start. Might be worth a look..... Had me stumped for a few weeks.....

Regards,
James

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it did happen right after i washed it!! Where is this antenna located so I can dry it out/ replace it?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Correct. Same with my S4Rs and when ever it rained. The antenna is located around the key barrel underneath the plastic cover. Undo the two nuts and the cover can be lifted up over barrel. The antenna can be removed from the plastic cover and replaced.

Item 3 in the picture

Sometimes they can fall down as well............

Regards,
James

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts