Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got to get out and tear up some pavement. Started out great weather but coming homse it got really cold. here is a map of my route, Hit the very nort tip of hill country then in to the rolling twists and hills of johnson county. Man once the Gas boom dies down and the Tractor Rigs leave. The new pavement will be a blast.

Depart Exxon in Burleson

Return Trip

I will be positing the route to the bike route page billy sent us.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Looks good [thumbsup] I love the scenery down that way...

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Yeah, me too, I loved the scenery and roads we took on the Hico gig. Once again, nice job Billy!!! That country around Glen Rose area is really nice. I know the true TX hill country around Austin is great ( lived there from 70 -80) but now is so overgrown and over populated it sucks to go back. Heck, 620 around Lake Travis used to be a two lane black top road now it's a multi-lane super hiway! So I'll keep a heads up on this route. My rule is if it's a really good road don't tell that many people about it! Selfish, maybe?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures Now uploaded

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
fastwin said:
Yeah, me too, I loved the scenery and roads we took on the Hico gig. Once again, nice job Billy!!! That country around Glen Rose area is really nice. I know the true TX hill country around Austin is great ( lived there from 70 -80) but now is so overgrown and over populated it sucks to go back. Heck, 620 around Lake Travis used to be a two lane black top road now it's a multi-lane super hiway! So I'll keep a heads up on this route. My rule is if it's a really good road don't tell that many people about it! Selfish, maybe?
Hey Brian - since you were in Austin in the 70's, I'm sure you'll remember FM 2222... the "old" 2222 before its straightening in the early 80's? Now THAT was a road... When I was learning to drive, one of my favorite loops around town was Bee Caves Road (out west of town) all the way to Hwy 71; north on that for a mile or so, then east on Hwy 620 out over the dam 'till I hit the north end of 2222 where I'd cruise back into town on that 'till I could pick up Lamar through downtown and back towards Zilker Park.

Why can't we have roads like that in Dallas/Fort Worth?!?! I've not had a chance to take my 'bike back to Austin for a visit, but I think this summer I may just have to do it... it's just way too flat here :'(

Hmmm... sorry for the detour/threadjack; it's just cool to see someone else from Austin back in its "hayday" [laugh]

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I know that loop VERY well! 2243 to 71 to 2222 and in on Mount Benell (sp?) road. I used to race bicycles back then (was TX State road race champion in '78, raced in three national championships and the 1980 Olympic Trials... I was so far back in the road race trial I couldn't even see the front of the pack!!!) and Austin was the Mecca of cycling, right next to Colorado Springs, and probably still is. After the '72 Munich Games a bunch of Olympic riders "discovered" Austin and by the '76 Montreal Games Austin was a hotbed. I used to race motocross and rode bicycles as part of my workout... didn't even think people raced "those things". Got hooked up with John Howard and the Stetna bros. (US Olympic team members) and I found myself peddling 350-500 miles a week and racing all over the country. My a** is still sore! Long (and boring) story short, I know all the good loops within a 50-60 miles radius of Austin. I rode that loop of yours both directions a hundred times. I also had a Honda CB750F and a Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans (still have it!) back then so we would do our training rides early and then later in the day I would go back out and do them again on the scooters! But just a little bit faster!!! Too bad that part of Travis and connecting counties are now so over grown. I don't even recognize a lot of the old roads and wouldn't DREAM of turning a bicycle wheel on them now. You now have to transport your bike way out of town, then start your ride. Still a great part of the State, that's the problem... everyone wants to live there! Believe it or not, a lot of my friends STILL work at Freewheeling Bicycle shop to this day, it's like they are frozen in time! Yeah, Austin was killer back then, great roads, great music scene, without a doubt the best time in my life so far.

Pardon the ramblings of an old fart!!!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Cool [thumbsup] I get asked by family almost everytime we go back home to visit, "Why don't y'all move back?" Well... it just ain't the same (AND we can't afford it now [laugh] ) It's just stupid-crazy expensive now...

Oh well.

I'd like to see that Guzzi some time :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts