Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of mod can be done to raise ground clearance on a monster, specifically 2003 800 dark?

R.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you can get an adjustable tie rod for your rear end and crank up the rear........I don't think the tie rod on yours is adjustable.....there are aftermarket ones, and ones from sbk bikes and I believe the s4's that fit...can only go so far before grinding the chain plate and you can also buy an adjustable height shock...sbk forks may be longer? after that there are rear sets, rework the headers, and grind the side stand.....

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your recommendations would help in cornering clearance?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Ja, all those mods help corner clearance; the first by raising the ride height, and later ones by raising the things what drag.

Other suggestions (if corner clearance is your concern) often overlooked:

1. Proper suspension setup. A too-soft suspension compresses eating up ground clearance and does improper compression/rebound (can lead to pump down in bumpy corners).
2. Good technique. Rolling on the throttle through the turn extends the forks, giving back some cornering clearance.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes....I think the best bet is getting an adjustable tie rod should work pretty good unless you want to be leaning all out....cheap enough and will help..then on to rear sets and the like.....

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my problem is scraping my rear brake pedal, as well as shidter on the opposite side. I'm trying to prevent wiping out!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tie rod and rear sets.......if you hit stuff after that it will be your headers, cans, or side stand.....
uh, not that it could not happen but usually the pegs just gleefully grind away.....it's the cans or headers that seem to pitch the bike....anyways Don's suggestions is good and so is getting off the bike so it does not have to lean as much..but it is fairly common to start dragging stuff on a monster.....don't know about your bike but the foot nub on the side stand was the first thing I had to grind off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are looking for an adjustable tie rod to raise the rear seat height, have your dealer order the tie rod from the 800Sie. Unlike the Dark Tie Rod, the 800Sie is adjustable.

According to the spec sheet the Dark seat height is 30.3", while the 800 Sport is 31.3".

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Explain...

This link on ebay is an adjustable tie rod?
Although this is from another model,will it fit my monster?
How much is a adj. tie rod (approx.) from a dealer?

R.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the TPO part on my bike. It works, but it's a pain to adjust. I like that JHP part, great idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
rizoma makes a billet swing arm arch that raises the rear a little higher (don't know how much) than stock, and it looks great too. motowheels carries them

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Download the spare parts catalogue for the 2003 Monster 620 Sie, this one also has an adjustable tie-rod, write down the spare part number and get your local dealer to order it. Should cost arround 60 euro ...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really appreciate the info! It's perfect. My only question is, will the ebay link stabilizer be a fit for my bike. Is the tie rod the same as the stabilizer? Bear with me I'm still learner these bikes.

R.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You are just going to need the tie rod (the part sticking up in the air on the ebay post), not the bottom link.

If you could find one off of an S4 or newer monster with an adjustable tie rod, that would give you more height. I think I read somewhere that the SBK tie rod wouldn't give you much more height. I could be wrong. Like Retro said and I know from experience, if you take it up too high, the chain wear plate will suffer! Let us know how it turns out after you get it installed.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I installed a tie rod from a 748 on an '02 620 and adjusted the height by about 3/4". It can probably increase that to 1", but I have to check to make sure I have enough threads on the rod ends to hold everything together. (Hope this makes sense).

Oh, one more thing, if or when you do this, check the bike lean with the sidestand. When you raise the rear, the bike becomes "taller" and will lean more when on the sidestand. You might want to save up for the new CC sidestand. ;)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have got about 1" of threads showing now. I had it up to about 1.75" but that is where there were issues with clearance. As soon as I go up two or three teeth in the rear and get the suspension just right, we'll see where I end up. The clipons I installed will help with some of the handling I was trying to accomplish.

I also added an inch to my sidestand w/ a custom foot. If I would have left her up in the air with the shortie, It could have gotten ugly.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Rube-
I paid $109.95 for the link from MCC and had them install it to lower my bike when it was in for the repair/switcheroo. I don't remember how long they said it takes. I think less than 1/2 hour. I know I paid more than I saw them for on eBay, but I felt more comfortable buying from a dealer.
- J

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
rizoma makes a billet swing arm arch that raises the rear a little higher (don't know how much) than stock, and it looks great too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts