Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Ohio and I'm preparing for this thing called winter. I have a rear stand and I want to get the front wheel off the ground for storage also. I was planning to to put a pipe though the front axle and use two jack stands to hold it up.

Has anyone done this for storing the bike over a couple of months? Any concerns with stressing the axle or the front forks?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I too have to store my bike soon (I live in Michigan) and actually think that's a good idea. If I'm thinking correctly, you're just dispersing the weight on the outer portion of your shaft . When the bike is resting on the wheel, it rides on the inside part of your shaft through your bearings. It might sound a little crazy, but I'm thinking of hanging the bike just a couple of inches off the floor by strapping it up through the neck area of the bars and the passenger grab handles on the rear. I do this yearly on my other bikes and summer time storage for my snowmobiles. Just make sure you don't use those cheapo straps .

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I've done this with no problems at all. I've also used the jack stands right under the bottom of the forks when I needed to remove the front wheel. Well at least I did before I bought race stands. ;D

Go ahead and do it, you'll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts