Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a hold of some 50mm clip ons from a 1999 SS and would like to put them on my 2001 900 Dark.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Don't know about straightening the bent section, but changing fork height is pretty straightforward as you described.

You MUST support the bike to stop it where you want it. You'll want to have the rear on a pit stand. Support the front either from above with a hoist or from below with a jack and soft block of wood under the horizontal cylinder right at the exhaust flange and valve cover.

Personally I prefer to remove the front wheel and work the fork legs up or down by hand one at the time and match their height.

R

·
0 Posts
Another way is to use a front stand that attaches to the bottom yoke.
You could use some wood spacers under the tire that allow you to change the height and for the wheel to rest against.
I would measure the fork protrusion from the top of the top yoke to the top of the stanchion to know were you are starting from, if you ever want to get back there. Adjust, measure and confirm the forks are equal.
The torque value for the pinch bolts are 22Nm.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Changing fork height changes the geometry & handling of the bike - be careful. For the bend, yes, just heat it & rebend it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, does anyone know a link to a conversion table that changes NM to FTlbs?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Rich,
I put a set of Pro-Flo clip ons on my bike. I couldn't fit them under the tripple so had to raise the fork tubes.

My fork tubes sit 45mm above the triple. This was a case of "Suck it & See" as some folks here said i would experience some head shake. I went ahead & did it anyway & it has worked for me. No head shake even at speeds of 200kph.

one thing i did notice is that because the bike is lower you have to be carefull where you leave it because on dead flat ground the bike sits considebly more upright due to less ground clearace & the fixed height of the stand.

the other think you notice is that you get a nice chamfer on the outside edge of your boots cause you get over real good with the lower set up height. Boy i like that.

I guess the real fix is buy a set of Cycle cats as soon as i can afford it.

D

·
0 Posts
when i put my clip-ons on i held up the front of my bike with a cherry picker and pushed the fork tubes up, it was easier then fighting gravity.

S

·
0 Posts
why not install them under the top yoke? that way, you can leave the forks in their current position.

wait... nevermind. i just reread and saw you've got units off a '99 which don't have rise to them. if you got a set from a '98 or prior, they come with rise and would mount under the top yoke nicely. sorry

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just reworked my forks and raised them up 1/4 inch I would not suggest leaving the front wheel on the ground and letting gravity pull the front end down. You will have to measure and re-measure to be sure they are perfect and this may be difficult while holding the front end up. I would remove the front wheel and put a Pitbull New Front Stand into the trees or use ties downs to suspend the bike from above. That way you can work the legs separately by hand and get them perfect. Oh after you get them right where you want them put the axle back in before tightening all the way. I checked my axle with a level just for kicks.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I raised my forks to get my SS clip-ons on and so far in my limited ride (some LONG sweepers, and superslab) I haven't noticed any problems with head shake or anything. But I've heard the same thing you have about it, so we'll see when the riding gets more aggressive.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gents,
Thanks for the help here. I'm gonna try and support the front end with a rubber jack pad near the horizontal cylinder and slowly lower the bike. Is there anyone out there who has had ANY bad experience from lowering the front end. I expect the quicker steering but I don't want an invitation to tankslappers.

N

·
0 Posts
i recently installed clip-ons and enjoy the quicker steering. are there any other changes that must be made or even recommended? do i have to adjust the rearend? not interested in any tankslappers.....
thanks for the info folks!

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I just reworked my forks and raised them up 1/4 inch I would not suggest leaving the front wheel on the ground and letting gravity pull the front end down. You will have to measure and re-measure to be sure they are perfect and this may be difficult while holding the front end up.
I just did this. I wouldn't recommend it either, but I don't have a rear stand and/or a jack or a way to suspend the bike, and it was unrideable with the bent stock bars, so I would have had to pay $60 for bars I wasn't going to use to take it somewhere to have it done and then have the clipons installed for even more money. Anyway, it did work, and I got exactly 49mm above the triple on both sides. If I hate the quicker steering and decide to get different clipons with narrower clamps, I may wind up begging a lister to borrow the proper equipment.

A

·
0 Posts
i bought my 2001 used and the previous owner must have been short. the forks were slid up far enuf to reveal about 1.25 inches above the top tree. it made for a great low seat hight. i'm also short. but it was VERY "nervous" on the super slab VERY sensitive to pavement changes and wind gusts/crosswinds. no full fledged tankslapers but definately it required constant attention. i slid the forks back down about half the difference and noticed a big change for the better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts