Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shock with adjustable height (about .5"). Would like to increase ride height (Dark). Now normally I understand the suspension arch heims should be extended. However, given the suspension linkage on the Monster, I'm trying to understand if and how to raise both. It seems logical to me that I should raise both so the pivot rises "balanced". If I did only one, what effect would this have? If it's better to do one, which is it? For reference, I also intend on keeping the forks high enough to not change the balance between front and back by much. Advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Sivan,

I'm not familiar with the suspension linkage on your model, bu tare you referring to the two locking rings on the shock that adjust preload on the spring as the shock height adjustment?

The heim joints on the arch do raise ride height. I wouldn't go more than 5mm at a time, then ride enough to evaluate any ride changes before adding any more height.

If the shock adjustment you refer to is the spring preload, it doesn't really change the shock height. But, increasing the spring preload reduces total sag with the rider on board which in an indirect way raises the effective rear ride height. It also increases the spring stiffness somewhat which means you should increase the rebound damping on the rear shock if yours has that adjustment. That keeps the rebound damping more in tune with the added pressure from the more heavily preloaded spring.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Penske with adjustable ride height. The linkage on my Monster, and I believe on all prior to the new ST frame has a rocker that balances between the suspension arch and the shock.

If I raise the suspension arch using the heims, I'm raising only one side of the pivot. Now the pivot will go up, but it seems that the rocker will necessarily increase preload on the shock. Visualize that if the suspension arch is anchored on the middle of the swingarm, and the shock at the beginnining, both linked by the rocker, increasing one height measurement has to come at the expense of the other in some way.

Normally only the heims are used for adjusting height, but given a shock with this feature it seems better to use both to raise the pivot with both sides balanced. Or I could be confused :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't know if this is analogous, but the guys at Lindemann: http://www.le-suspension.com/LE-About.html told me NOT to adjust the height on my newer framed monster by adding and adjusting the tie rod. They indicated that it is much better to raise the end using only the adjustment on the shock. I'd give them a call and ask; i'll bet they're willing to help you out..

mike

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the same, do the shock first, then experiment with the rest. The rationale, changing linkage geometry affects progression. I think I will eventually experiment with a balanced raise then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts